Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got a Springer Spaniel? Dog ???'s (long)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mofugly13, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I went to Oregon last month to visit my brother, and ended up bringing home a 2 year old springer spaniel, named Jesse. (after getting to know him, I woulda named him Knucklehead) It was my brother's old lady's sister's, and they were trying to give it away. Its purebred with papers, etc. Apparently the dog was sent to some $$$$ training school when it was a puppy. They sent their 4 year old son to the school too, as it was 'his' dog. Well, the kid is a little terror, and nobody followed through on any of the training, so when the dog became 'too much' for them, they started looking for a new home. When I got to oregon, my bro had him locked in a 10' by 10' kennel. My girlfriend and I took pity on him and so we let the dog out and played with him all over my bro's 40 acres of pasturage. He went right into the irrigation/bass pond and learned to swim VERY fast. We could tell he was smart, just undisciplined. So we brought him home. The problem is the lack of follow through when he was trained. He will come when you call him, unless he decides something else is more exciting, same with other commands, such as 'sit' and 'stay'. He escaped three times from his original owners house, and was picked up by the pound. Everyone, including the vet whe has seen him since he was a puppy, thinks he was abused somehow the last time around. He is a bit aggressive now. He tried to bit the vet when she checked his ears, he also tried to bite two different groomers after we got him home. He bit a friend of my GF'd daughter on the face, and then immediately warmed up to her. It seems that anytime he meets someone new, he tries to bite them, later warming up to them and being just fine. So I guess I have a couple of questions. Why would my dog try and bite someone he has just met? I'm afraid to take him out in public. I take him to my hunting cabin almost every weekend, and he roams free, never goes to far, and always come back when called. He will also swim FOREVER. But I dont like the fact that he tries to bite people he has just met. Every time he has done this, he has been under restraint. Could that have something to do with it?

Also, I could use a really good book on training dogs, particularly Springer Spaniels. Also something geared for a dog who isn't a puppy anymore (2 years old), but needs some more discipline.

He surprises me with how good he is at times. He loves to go for a ride, and jumps right into his crate when told. He does not jump on the bed. My GF and I frequently eat dinner in the living room. When we sit down to eat, he does not bother us one bit, most times he just lays down on the floor. He has NEVER begged. Same with when we go to bed, he realizes it's time for him to lay down too. He's mellow when we're out of the house too. He just gets SUPER excited when we come home.I can see that he has a LOT of potential, but I am not sure how to get it out of him. I understand the basics of training, rewarding when a command is obeyed, but I need a bit more knowledge. I have not had a dog for about 18 years, so I am mighty rusty on the little do's and dont's. (Right now he is reminding me what dog farts smell like.) I would be extremely grateful for ANY help you dog owners could throw my way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  2. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I currently have a 1 1/2 year old springer. This is my second one. Springers are very smart, but they have a short attention span. Follow through is vvery important. Whe training him make sure you work with him for only about 10 min. at a time, otherwise he will get bored and not pay attention. If you tell him to do something just make sure he does it before you let him end his training session. I don't know what kind of training you are looking to do. If you want to train him for hunting, there is a book called "retriever training for spaniels" that is really good. Also make sure he understands a command before you punish him for not doining it. As for the biteing, is he fixed yet? Cutting off this balls will help a lot. When I got mine fixed he calmed down a lot. Springers are also vert protective of ther families. Remeber springers are VERY active dogs and need lots of exercise. I saw you live in San francisco. Take hime to the dog park ( a fenced in park where dogs can fun free, check dogpark.com for locations, but I S.F. has a lot). This will help him get his exercise and also expose him to peopel and other dogs. The more socialized your dog is, the less likley he is to bite someone. And lastly springer will be in there puppy stage for up to 6 years. Springer are great dogs, have fun with him and fell free to email me if you have any questions.

3. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Springer Spaniels are excellent dogs. My dog, Brandi, is a field trial springer and is still very active at 13 years old.(Although she can't hear very well and has cataracts) I have always had at least one springer or britney spaniel as a hunting dog/companion all of my life.

If you are going to train him for hunting then the "retrieving for spaniels" book will be a good choice. Training them retrieving with a pheasant wing is good for learning the scent and getting an eye for hunting. If you are just doing retrieval a water dummy works great to. I know that there are a few books out there on springer spaniels.

As for the biting it could be just not having discipline or just being young and around new people. I could not think of to many dogs that are more gentle than a springer.