Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got a tranny???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Apr 29, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally need to replace the tranny. It started puking fluid on the last wheeling trip I went on (again), so I decided that it was time to pull the RTV off that was sealing the crack and re-gunk it, and when I pulled the old stuff off, the whole piece came with it. Our club is planning a great run tomorrow... of course... and I need a quick fix. Any ideas? I have some good 2 part epoxy... possible? JB Weld? The piece is the top part of the little hump on the side where the upper cooler line goes into. It includes the upper protion of threads. Its pressureized, although not much press. Well, gotta go try something. Later
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Wonder how hard it would be to find a blown one or one from a yard and just remove and replace the guts from one to the other? Or how much a shop would charge to do a swap?

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. If its a 700R4, the core charge is usually around 150 bucks on them.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

A lot cheaper than a new tranny ain't it Bigburb?

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

On the note of swapping the guts... what kinds of TH400s are there? I have been told to look for a TH400 short shaft... where is the length taken from? A friend of mine says he has a short TH400 at his place, but its out of a car. Does that matter? Another buddy says that there is no way a tranny from a car will work, that they are all one piece right to the tailshaft. Which is right? I have a TH400 and an adapter into a 205 t-case right now. Where should I look for a donor tranny?
    Thanks for the help.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I have read in some of these posts about a company called "Advanced" that has all the adapters necessary to make the change....guys?

7. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

I have a 70r4 w/ 60,000 miles on it. Just pulled it off my new 6.2l diesel. It is in awesume shape. Set up for 2wd. I'm in florida. make offer

fix'n finally

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Advance Adapters, kings of the art of using Chevy drivetrain parts in Heeps, TLC's and Scouts.

www.adavanceadapters.com

They also have the Atlas II t-case, overdrives for M151's and the like, and adapters to hook any t-case up to any tranny in anything, seems like.

And they do SBC conversion stuff for non-GM products like the TLC ... speaking of that, you should see JagsThatRun.com, who put SBC's into a great many vehicles... there's a Volvo 'round these parts with an SBC in it. Wow. ;-)

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...