Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got rebuild instructions for power steering gearbox???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I've retrieved all the goodies I need from the boneyard for my power steering pump (brackets, pulley), now I need to rebuild my bro-in-law's gear box as it has excessive play.

When you turn the wheel I can see the input from the steering shaft turn about 30* while rising up before the pitman arm even moves. This tells me something is either broke or so badly out of adjustment. My guess is the adjustment collar on the input side of the gear box.

I have some diagrams of the box along with listed parts, but no rebuild procedures. Does anyone have any laying around from a rebuild kit they purchased in the past?

Thanks in advance...

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I do.... I will have to scan them at work and then i will post it here late tonight when I get off work.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

thanks, I look forward to seeing them. I appreciate the help.

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I looked and looked everywhere for the diagram, but I can not find it. I'm sorry, I piped up too soon. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Okay...

Heres what i got for my '72 4x4 box
    Power Steering Repair Kit
    Car Quest 35112

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Its been a while but the notes i took:
    Once you find the center, full left to full right divided by 2... Adjust the adjuster plug you can read worm bearing preload, rotate 1/4 turn back and forth to read preload.
    Rule of thumb specs worm bearing preload 5-8 in./lbs.
    Max preload 7-14 in.lbs.
    Make sure the gears mesh and are completely perpindicular to each other, if they aren't then you have it backwards. Align shaft and gears first before assembly to make sure it's installed the correct way.

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif