Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got strobes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Anyone here have strobes for their trucks?? You know, the flashing headlights police cars have...

I was looking through an emergency supplies catalog at work yesterday, and in the vehicle section they had strobes for headlights /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That's gonna be a cool mod for my Explorer someday...

www.streetglow.com has a 2-bulb system with controller for $99.99... Might not be used much, since I assume they're not legal for street use... But it'd be cool to show off to friends, or maybe some sort of warning on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have some in the daytime running lights on my '00 Silverado. They are not the high intensity ones your talking about but there still cool.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

My firend Allan has a police light bar that hes putting on his big crew cab. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

4. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

my friend and i stuck some on his 99 tahoe that is all black w/ tinted windows, we have fun w/ em sometimes.

phill

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My work truck is equipped with a strobe light setup for when we have to work on roadways- it's amazing how many people slow down as they approach a worksite that I'm on.

I'm not sure if the law is different in the USA, but up here the lights cannot alternate left to right(like police wigwags)- both strobes have to flash at the same time.

If you plan on installing strobes I would highly recommend that you don't play around with them on public streets. I have a feeling that the local constabulary would take great pleasure in handing out a large ticket if they caught someone doing so......

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

that could probly be called impersonating police /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifnow you tell me! I just put them on this old black LTD out back. My white doors are coming tomorrow.
    (Just kidding)

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i have 2 strobes up front behind the grill that alternates left to right and are both blue. and i have one magnetic one on top.cops think i am a volunteer firefighter and to this day i havent been pulled over yet. just a theory but hey, it worx. i mainly just use them offroad, but at the moment the truck doesnt run n e wayz /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

NITRO

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a set of police wigwags that I am going to put on my Firebird as an attenion getten at night drags. I was told I cannot use them on the street since they are the same ones the police use. BTW its a felony to impersonate a cop.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I have strobes in my car /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have seen strobes installed at car shows. Seems kind of silly to me. Just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i have some profesional grade strobes and wig wags in my truck, and the wig wags cost me 45 bucks, and the strobe controler was 299.oo, the bulbs were 40 each(X6), and the cable was 3.oo per foot.

12. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I"ve got high dollar strobe patter on my head light an tail lights. They Wig wag, and the flashers light up, ever light on the car that can light up flashes some how. lol. I've also got a brand new light bar on top, with take downs and alley lights.

Oh yea.....its a patrol car too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That would be a HUGE ticket down here if we caught you running wig wags coming down the highway, espcially if a state trooper got ahold of ya. Would be cool for nite wheeling though. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

14. poweredbychevy

poweredbychevy Registered Member

I actually work at Whelen Engineering in Connecticut. I've been talking to a few guys here and we plan on making a few prototype lightbars with alley lights all around for off-road use. Only wish we could get the high intsity LED bars to work. Problem is the LED burn up to fast when they are left on.

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

you know what I would like!? sealed LED turn signals. 4"x4" for the front (the side markers are fine), I want more clearance behind the grill and a brighter light!
    Problem is dual brightness for turn signals and parking lights.