Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Graphic Design Artists?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 24, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A local business school has a Graphic Design course I've been considering. Anyone do this or knwo someone that does? any opinions(not random comments)?

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

My ex was in that program. You basically design labels and stuff like that. You should be artistic if your going in it. You can make some big bucks too.

3. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

It's an awesome thing to get into. If you can use a computer you can definately do it. I myself am looking into doing it for college but I do side projects. You get paid good money and side jobs can vary. You have lot's of time to work on certain projects and it's not as hard as illustration work. Not as demanding. I'd definately give it a shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check with jjlaughner. He has a degree in something like that, and has been out of work for a year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Make sure there's a demand for your services before laying out tons-o-cash and spending years of your life getting the education. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My wife owns a business services shop. Her graphic design skills were developed on-the-job, and she uses them every day designing business cards, brochures, pamphlets, logos and websites.

Here's a link to her shop's website(which she designed):

www.crowfootsureprint.com

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Check with jjlaughner. He has a degree in something like that, and has been out of work for a year. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Make sure there's a demand for your services before laying out tons-o-cash and spending years of your life getting the education. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I sent him a PM to keep the negative parts out of the post. My degree is geared toward printing management and a little on design. Around me other than a lowpaying newspaper ad designer job (that I didn't get hired for /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) there no design jobs around here that I have found. Definatly an over abundence of web designers and literature designers. There have been a couple spots at a book design company but you had to know the book maker program with a couple years experience. I turned down all the non-paying interships for jobs that paid to make it threw school... now without 2-3 years experience you dont even get a second look. Of the people I went to school with for GArts 90% say they would have taken computer science, MIS, or something different... the other 10% got office/management jobs stright out of school.
    Several are going back for masters in other areas. Honestly what I went to school for doesn't even interest me now. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif My last three jobs where 13,15 and 17$/hr (third shift printing, installing cable modems and software design on a 6month contract) so the chance of a newspaper hiring even at 7-8$/hr is not likely unless I lie about my past salery.

Anyhow if you are going to go to school take any and every intership and I guess bury yourself in loans instead of working. I had some loans and have yet to have a job more than half of the year so they are on deferment and increasing from intrest /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Something like this direction maybe?
    Degree in New Media, Graphic Design, Computer Engineering /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If I dont find something by summer I'm going back to school in Indy this time at new arts school for tech

7. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

Honestly, if you live near a bigger city it only seems worth it. The money is good if you can find a job. I certainly don't think I would MAJOR in it. Maybe take some classes or something but nothing to make a degree out of.