Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone had a problem with stock fuel pump pulling thru 2 filters?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Mar 30, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

my 71 I've put two fuel filters on it due to having some junk in the tank. I took it out and cleaned it out best I could at the car wash and replaced it. When I did there was a small amount of stuff I couldn't get out. so I put a standard cheap metal case fuel filter at the rear by the tank, then put a new clear one near the carb. well it seems it's starving now. and the fuel pump is new (when I cleaned the tank out I had to replace it due to the crap clogging it up.

so anyone else heard of this problem, the parts guy at napa and I neither one thought it should have a problem sucking thru two filters.

Is there a preliminary filter sold that is more of a screen?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know its a little late since you already reinstalled your tank, but what I did when I cleaned mine out was let it sit over the weekend, and on sunday nite I took my shop-vac with the brush attachment and vacuumed out the inside of the gas tank /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

When I had my 72 blazer I was replacing fuel filters every week due to junk(RUST) in my tank. I had my tank boiled and cleaned and I was still getting a good amount a rust in the filter and I was hardly getting a fuel because of the clogged filter. I got pissed off and bought a HARWOOD fuel cell and some new fuel lines.
    Colin

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well it's been a money issue, I"m trying to get my lift and tires done so any money spent on it is going to that, so I did the carwash pressure wash thing then shook all I could out of it, let it dry then reinstalled it. I wish I could have had it acid etched and coated but that takes money I don't have to spend. If anything I'd get a custom tank built. but...then again that's expensive. I"d like to have some kind of screen back there I could clean out that would catch the big stuff.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I think they make (do it your self kits) to clean or get rid of all the crap in the tank. I have no clue who makes it or what it is called but I hear it does a really good job and it is pretty cheep. The fuel cell I had was like $150 with the sending unit.
    Colin

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I am running a clear type filter in the line from the pump to the carb and the stock filter in the carb with no problems on my stock 400.

Is it possible something is stuck in a fuel line?

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if there is still crap in your tank, you might have already clogged up one of the fuel filters. check to make sure they are still clean.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

So in reality you have 3 filters in the system, right? A metal one by the tank, a clear one near the carb, and the filter IN the carb. Right?

I would say that 3 filters would restrict your fuel system. Have you done a PSI test at the fuel input by the carb? Maybe your fuel pump is getting weak and the extra filtration is too much for it. When did you last replace your fuel pump?

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the pump when I put the tank back in, the crap in the tank killed the last pump, that's why I put the filter back there. but no I haven't done a psi test.

10. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Your screen on the pickup in the tank may have clogged as well. Most filters are not designed to be draw thru, but to be installed on the pressure side. Some will collapse on the suctrion side. You should use a metal screen type on the suction side or a large canister unit. The clear type on the pressure side is OK as long as it is a large fliter. There are small glass tube type units with a screen inside.... these are junk & clog quickly. If using an inline, remove the one from the carb inlet as well.

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

thanks lonnie, where do I get one of these canister types? I don't really want the stuff in the tank killing another fuel pump.