Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone had problems w/ police and no doors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Apr 11, 2002.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Thinking about taking the doors off for a local offroad even and wanted to "be cool". any problems w/ the Po Po?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That would be an interesting thing to see what others reply.

Wonder how Dblazer gets around doing it? (never see him on the site that much anymore) /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Jeeps do it all the time. Just keep your legs in and your belt on and I dont see where there would be a problem. Yeah I had a habit of hanging my foot out the door when I had my CJ.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I know they want doors for inspection, but I found out that as long as you have a bar down by your feet to keep your feet in the truck it is legal. Thats what they told me. I just ran a bar really low on my cage, that way I can get in and out real easy.

Dan

5. SCOOBYDANNN

The only reason i would think h%^ps get away w/ it is cause they have that lip keeping all the "junk" from falling out when you turn, you know how you kinda sit down in a j&^p---dblazer is in texas too huh?

6. Pure Insanity

That is a good point. That could be easily fixed by just putting a peice of 1x 4 across the door opening. Kinda butch but it would work.

If I ever get the time, (yeah like thatll ever happen) Id like to take some doors and chop em up to a Jeep like opening. Mostly just to fill the jamb area rather than looking at the cowl side and inner fenders and the jamb to the rear. Just give it a finished look rather than looking like the doors were taken off and thats it.

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ive been planning this for months, i want to do a set like Steve Frisbie's but with a little more door removed.

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I just thught that if I dont have doors on, it will be one less thing to worry about /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You cant dent something thats not there. I think the half doors look cool, but if its a trail rig, I would just loose the door completely. Its more fun without doors.

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

In Missouri there is no law that states you have to have doors. It would require that you have a review mirror or a mirror on the drivers side somewhere. Still more to protect you than a motorcycle.

Just a little insight from the Po Po

10. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I've been running with no doors for a couple months now and have not had a problem with the law. I have a have a mirror mounted with a C.B.mount on both sides and the law seems to leave me alone around here.

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have a problem running with no doors. The problem you may run into is running with no MIRRORS. jeeps have their mirrors mounted to the body, where we have ours mounted to the doors. I'm pretty sure that in every state a drivers side mirror is required. Fab up a mount that you can bolt on to you hindge with a small mirror attached, and you shouldn't have a problem.

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i used to drive a blazer around in fort worth all the time with no doors and in the summer no top, and i am sure the cops noticed it, 72 with 8+3 and 39.5's, i also used to do state inspections and THEN all the rules stated was that you had to have ONE rearview mirror, ergo, the one on the windshield, i also didn't have but that one on my 72 and no one ever hassled me about it, just had to be carefull about leaving stuff in the floorboard, but my plan was to put a short piece of steel with self tapping screws to make a lip

13. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Never had any problems running doorless. Only thing is that i got yelled at for not wearing my seat belt. The cop didn't even pull me over, just ran beside me and yelled out the window!

14. SCOOBYDANNN

this is what i wanted to hear im just gonna take everything outta the cab and mabye put a mirror somewhere on the fender or something

15. Pure Insanity

When I do it there will be very little left. Just enuff to cover the jambs. Ill cut the inner and outer cap it off and finish out the inside somehow. Ill have to see if I can get my hands on some bashed in doors to play w/.

16. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to do the same thing. Do you know who makes the cutout "doors" for the older broncos?
    Hate to admit it, but it does look better than the exposed jamb.

17. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

mallotte (?) is one company that makes door inserts for older bronco's, might also try james duff or jeff's bronco graveyard

18. SCOOBYDANNN

Well, we'll see what happens here in a couple days---i took off the doors, mounted a mirrior on the fender and took all the junk out so nothing falls out

19. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

I've been running with no doors for some time now and I haven't run into problems with the law. Also removed the tailgate.