Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have a Bull Mastiff for a pet? I added pics 10/21 bottom

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Oct 19, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Give me the low down on owning a big dog! There is a breeder here in town and a buddy of mine told me there may be one at the humain society also (so I'm going to call them first). I've wanted a bully for a long time. Looks like I might be moving soon and should have the room for a new buddy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also looking into Boxers or bully/boxer mixes, Would really like to get a dark red, black or darkly brindled boy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Re: anyone have a Bull Mastiff for a pet?

I have never owned a bull mastiff, but I had a friend who had one. What I remember about that dog was she was really big, really sweet, pretty mellow and drooled like crazy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What I do know is that big dogs = bigger mess, bigger poops and a bigger food bill. The other thing about big dogs is their life expectancy isn't as long as it is for smaller dogs and they are more prone to health problems (i.e., hip dysplasia).

This site has tons of really good information on any breed of dog you could think of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

I have 2 boxers, a male that is dark brindle, and a female that is reverse brindle. I would suggest a boxer, they are great companions. The only advice I have is to find a reputable breeder. Too many backyard breeders these days are fouling up the bloodlines. I have a friend with a bull mastiff, that thing is huge!

The only thing about having a dog with those big damn jowls hanging down is that they like to shake their head all the time and they get jowl boogers all over the walls, be prepared.

Oh yeah, the other thing is don't let your wife, girlfriend, mother, cousin, aunt, whoever talk you out of getting their ears cropped. I still regret not getting that done.

[​IMG]

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

My best friend used to have one. The dog was a lot of fun, she always ripped our clothes when we played with her -- her paw was the size of my hand. She had really bad arthritis in her hips very young though. If you've los of space, time, and money they are a ton of fun.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont remember if it was a Bull or Eng Mastiff but I seen one on TV the other day that was 230 lbs! And theyre not for sure thats what he weighs in at since the pooch didnt fit on the scale completely. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That was one BIIIIG dog. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

friend's of teh family had one, and let it grow up with their goats from puppy to BIG DOG....standing up on his hind legs he was my height...eye to eye we looked at each other 6'0 he weighed around 175lbs.....if he ever even heard a coyote or wolf in the distance off he'd run, sometimes back in an hour sometimes in a day he'd hunt em' down and kill them, they never lost a goat to a predator....playing with the big dog was a trip....you can run but they have a long stride...I used to cycle and run ALOT and my calves were rather large...still no match for him to lightly grab and yank me off my feet without a problem...I still rememebr the dog although he was sold with the goats...BIG hardly captures its size...

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I dont know what I'm getting into fully yet I know. Once I find a new place and a good job I'm thinking about going to the local breeder and hanging out with some of the big dogs for a day (I already called her and asked). Here are a few pics I snipped from breeder sites and other pages.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] bully at 7months
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

I have a boxer pup. She is 4 months old. Great dogs. Friend has a mastiff. Huge, powerful, very loyal and protective. Eats a ton.