Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a Capital One card? BURN IT.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 26, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

4 months after I had a zero balance on a card I ancelled, I got a statement today that says I owe $119.33.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I went through HELL cancelling this card in July, and getting stupid crap like automatic "Payment Protection" charges stopped and off the account. Those retarded charges jacked up my balance via late fees and over-limit fees because they were never cancelled the FIRST time I tried to cancel them a lonnnnnng time ago.

Apparently, they didn't refund charges they said they'd refund on the august statement, and they never stopped the payment protection charges they said they'd stop on july 19th (according to the notes I wrote then). So the account my wife's been ignoring built up a big fat balance again, and who knows what they're doing to my credit since we've been ignoring it for 4 months. I don't think they've even been sending statements until this one I got today, there's a big gap in the capital one file in my filing cabinet.

So to top it of, I go through a nightmare customer service call today, and even though I know this is what they're going for, I give up and go to pay the full balance on-line. I pay the 119.33 that my statement says I owe, and the customer service rep says if I'm making the payment right now I should pay 119.88.
    So I'm like "No, my statement says 119.33, you must have misread the 3's as 8's." He says, "No, the account accrues interest on a daily basis, so it is .88".
    So I have a 5 minute argument with him about why my statement says .33, but the balance is really .88, and I can only make one online payment a day, so WTF is my balance going to be tomorrow, and since payments made on saturday's don't post til monday, wtf will my balance be then???????? Will I be in the same boat in 4 months because I had a 10 cent charge on an account I thought I had zero balance on, then get late fees and crap to jack it back up to another $100????
    And does that mean my account statement is wrong because it shows a number I can use to pay off the account in full?

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I'm so mad right now I want to break something, preferably a Capitol One customer service rep's head, but I'll settle for a de-stress ball.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My wife and I had a Capital One card a few years ago. Shortly after dealing with them for a few months we paid it off and cancelled. Something isn't right with that company. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's exactly what I tried to do... I've had two accounts for years, and problem after problem for years with them.
    I spent at least a month trying to cancel the first one before starting on the second one.

At least the first one appears to actually be terminated...

I'm now using a GM Card, and I pay the full balance on-line, as soon as it shows up. My credit limit on the GM Card is 15 times what it was on the Cap One cards, too. Everything about the GM Card so far has been a world easier than Cap One, from getting the card, to working with my account online, from reading the statement, to paying the balance.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have a few card, but I use the Visa through my bank (Wells Fargo) 99% of the time.

5. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

send them a payment for $5 on saturday, Priority mail them a letter officially closing the account (get a delivery signature confirmation). Wait thirty days for them to refund the amount of overpayment (4.77 - whatever extra "interest" they tack on). On the 31st day if they have not mailed you a refund yet, mail them a certified letter demanding payment for your overpayment amount plus a $39 late payment fee (payable to you)and warn them that they will continue to accrue late penalties and interest of 29.99 percent interest until you receive payment. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it;s not a GMAC account is it RATCH?a friend has had two truck loans through them and both were a nightmare for him.the first truck they said had no proof of ins. on and they would put ins on it for him. well he had ins and sent them a copy,after 5 months of this they said he had ins on the truck.then he got a call from them saying they were repoing the truck for not paying on time.seems that they never reversed the ins and they considered that a payment so they wanted the truck back.they told him until they wrote a check to themselves for the ins that they would keep it in repo mode.now the best part that truck was stolen. it was a 2000 dodge ext cab dually 4x4 with bed boxes ,a ladder rack with 6 ladders and a tri axle dump trailer atatched. well they found the truck and he got a 2004 pretty much the same except a four door with a deisel instead of the v-10.he got a call from them(GMAC) saying he's 3 months be hind on the payment on the 2000??? he's keeping it at a friends house until this gets straitened out.he says he would rather pay 50% interest than use them again.

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Something isn't right with that company.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could say that about any of them, credit card companies are not your friend no matter what their commercials say. They are in the business of ripping people off and can basically do whatever they want.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't pay it. Just watch your credit report.

9. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Capital one is famous for doing illegal [censored], and calling it mistakes. I'm sure you could Google up a class-action lawsuit to join. The bastards always sent my bills so they came about 4 days before the due date. If they attach your credit report unfairly, you can sue them for defamation of character-if more people knew this, maybe they'd stop.

10. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

Burn them all!

If you don't have cash, you can't afford it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying it. That is a prescription for disaster. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It is well documented that we spend more when paying with a credit card than when paying with cash. There is an emotional, psychological event in our heads when the cash leaves our wallets, that isn't there with a credit card.

The borrower is the slave to the lender. You want to be free? Cut up your credit cards. Send certified letters to each lender telling them you are closing the account. Only three or four people in a hundred can do this. Can you?

Don't be like everyone else. Be a contrarian. Live on a budget. Live on less than you make. Never buy new. Retire early. Be free.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have one, I've had a shitload of problems with overage and late fees. They have no grace period on this damn card even though they specifically say they do have a grace period /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif As soon as my debit card arrives from my bank I'm cutting this damn card up. I only use the card if I have the money in the bank so a debit card makes more sense for me anyway.

12. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

WHAT"S IN YOUR WALLET????

Not a Capital One Card!!!

After paying off these Idiots I called to cancel the card.
    They passed me off to no less than 4 people trying to get me to keep the account open,,,the 4th person asked if I would be intrested in lowering my credit limit from 10K to $500.00 just to keep the account active,,when I declined
    she told me that they report to all 3 credit agencies,,like this was some kind of black mark that I was closing this account,,I asked her what part of close my account did she not understand??? Good riddance Capital one!! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Burn them all!

If you don't have cash, you can't afford it. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying it. That is a prescription for disaster. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It is well documented that we spend more when paying with a credit card than when paying with cash. There is an emotional, psychological event in our heads when the cash leaves our wallets, that isn't there with a credit card.

The borrower is the slave to the lender. You want to be free? Cut up your credit cards. Send certified letters to each lender telling them you are closing the account. Only three or four people in a hundred can do this. Can you?

Don't be like everyone else. Be a contrarian. Live on a budget. Live on less than you make. Never buy new. Retire early. Be free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda hard to argue with that.

With the Visa check cards the bank's offer these days there is really no need to have credit cards. I keep a couple of high limit cards locked in my safe for emergencies.

"Emergency" means my family's health or safety are in danger not the "I need a Dana 60" type of emergency. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have one, I've had a shitload of problems with overage and late fees. They have no grace period on this damn card even though they specifically say they do have a grace period /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif As soon as my debit card arrives from my bank I'm cutting this damn card up. I only use the card if I have the money in the bank so a debit card makes more sense for me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't build any credit. I'm 21 and I have more credit than most that are 30, and it all started with one credit card with $1000 limit.

Without credit, Tim's Offroad wouldn't exist!!

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've had 2 loans, the credit card, and my parents are puting me on the loan for my schooling so it will build my credit as well. I will get a credit card again someday but for now **** the Capitol One card and stick to my debit card.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know on the credit rating, I have to check my credit report and dispute anything they put on there... I had great credit 4 or 5 months ago when I got the GM card, so I hope Cap One didn't mess it up with thier BS.
    Boggerless, its not a GMAC account (I don't think). They're not going to make any money off me, cause I pay that balance in full as soon as it appears, every statement has a zero balance.

I would love to live without a single credit card, but realistically, I find a need for at least one. I NEVER use it frivolously, mostly expensing stuff for my company. I'd rather not do that on our active accounts, and if I end up having to pay it off with my money, the reimbursement comes in a day or two later, so it doesn't really hurt.
    I also use it for any online purchases. I like to segregate those kinds of things from my checking accounts so I can track them easier (like if a huge charge appears out of nowhere, I can already rule out my wife using it).

I used towonder how a credit card company could possibly make so much money, now I realize how after they made probably over $1000 on my measly cards.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ok, so I go to pay again right now, and they show my card as a zero balance.

WTF?????????? I'm on the phone with a rep, and she's argueing with me that I was misinformed yesterday and my account is at zero balance!!!! WTF is going on????? She says if I paid tomorrow, I would have owed an additional $.62 because of the daily accrued interest. So I said "if I'm accrueing .62 a day sine my nov. 18 statement, wouldnt' I owe around another $5? Why do I owe my statement balance on 11/26, but my statement balance plus 9 days of interest on 11/27???
    So she argued with me that the account was at zero balance and nothing would gain any interest because there was nothing on the account. She said the payment protection garbage should also be off the account.
    She refused to fax or email any of this so I could have it in writing ("you'll see this on your next statemnt sir"), so I'm now waiting for a supervisor call back. I will close this account if it kills me!

Something's not right with that company. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I just realized, all the monsters and pirates that are going after the cardholder in the capital one tv commercials are actually the Capital One board of directors... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Just brought in the mail...

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i love it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif