Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a "Cole Drill"

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by mofugly13, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I read about this drill in "The Machinist's Bedside Reader" by Guy Lautard (Excellent reference for home shop machinists, and some good info for the pro's too) And decided I had to have one, so I just picked one up on ebay. Anyone here have on and have anything to say about it? Supposedly it will drill a hole through a HSS lathe bit, with a regular twist drill. Will also drill holes in plate glass. I plan on fully testing this out when it arrives. I will post results.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

this... I want to see... sounds neat

3. mofugly13

I got the drill and need to clean it up a bit. Then I'll have a go at a HSS tool blank. I re-read the article in TMBR, and it says that on the HSS, a carbide tipped masonry bit is used for the HSS drilling. So, I mis-stated that part. But a masonry tipped bit is only ~$1.50 or so. Lautard states that the bit has to have never been used on rock or concrete. "This is not to say that a new bit must be used for every hole-just that one previously used for masonry won't do." That's directly out of TMBR. First thing I try to drill will be the HSS bit, I'll take photos and post up.

4. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

This I too have too see ... because if it does do what you say ... I'm sold. I work in Auto Body and that would be killer for some of the projects that come to mind.

5. mofugly13

You should see a pic of it, according to some guys on www.homeshopmachinist.com, it is indespensible for drilling hole in hard truck and farm equipment frames. You bring the drill to the piece to be drilled. It's like a portable drill press. The Cole Drill co. doesn't make them anymore, so they have to be found used. They are hand cranked, but their design enables them to exert 1000 pounds of force on the item being drilled. Lemme find a link with some info....

http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/colevise/

http://www.rustyiron.com/engines/coledrill/

6. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

7. mofugly13

Here's the drill. I went downstairs and found an unused masonry bit, chucked it up and went to town on some HSS. I cranked on this thing for a good ten minutes, and drilled about 1/8" into the HSS. I'm sure if I kept at it for a while, I'd get all the way through. The handle is supposed to be able to be removed and a 1/2" drill motor hooked up to make it run under power. I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but when I do, I'll finish the hole.
    [​IMG]

Heres the divot I made

[​IMG]

It will certainly drill HSS, but my arm couldnt hang with all that cranking. Like I said, when I figure out how to put a drill motor on it, I'll finish the hole, and post the results.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So why not just chuck up a masonary bit into any old electric drill and go to town?

9. mofugly13

'Cause this drill's design puts up to 1000 pounds of pressure on the tip of the drill.

10. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

With a 1000lbs of pressure is there no need to clamp the piece?
    -Kell-