Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have a dually ff14b and want to trade for a SRW ff14b?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

picking up the tow rig this saturday. It has SRW and since this will be a tow/work rig with a big old flatbed etc, I'd like to have a dually rear end. I figure there has to be someone out there that has a dually that wants to go SRW... so maybe I could make a straight trade. :) BTW, anyone know if duallys and SRW rigs have the same width on the spring perches? lol!

I guess chevy used D70s for duallys also? that'd work to I guess...

j

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Spring perches are the same width for all 1 ton trucks. But don't worry about changing out the axle, just bolt on some dually rims/tires with the flatbed and it will be fine. The SRW axle is wider than the cab/chassis version dually. With a Flatbed you won't notice or care about the difference. Only thing you need is a set of rotors/hubs from a dually for the front to use dually rims up there.

3. jekbrown

Man, that is a real forehead-slapper... not 100% sure why I didn't think of that... lol!!!

No doubt, wider is better with respect to towing stability anyway right? :)

why not just leave the front alone? not sure if that was an equally dumb question.... lol! I really need to go to bed to get some sleep...

j

4. kennyw

Wider is better, but I doubt you would notice much difference in any of the dually axles by the seat of the pants.

The front can be left alone, but now you need 2 spare tires. Biggest bonus to a dually truck is the need for no spares because you are carrying two on the rear axle already. :D

5. jekbrown

hmmm... gas mileage is already abysmal enough, maybe I should look into swapping the front stuff as you suggested. Besides, spare room on/under the flatbed will be used for tool boxes and such, don't want multiple spare tires taking up all that useful space.

where do people usually get dually rims... I'd rather not pay mad ca$h for new ones. Guess the easiest way would be to find a guy parting out a dually...

j

6. kennyw

Plenty of used ones in the wrecking yards. But with the GM dually rims you need the small ring with it. GM rims have flat faces and the ring gives you the lug nut seat.

7. jekbrown

off to the yards I go I guess!

I need to find a buyer for the longbed and factory rear bumper though. Maybe that will score me enough ca$h for the dually stuff.

j