Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a KIA? Anyohne have any thoughts on them?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 3, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm looking for opinions. I have to get a car for my wife. Her '89 Grand Prix is slowly dying. I'm hearing the cv's click right now, and I am really not interested in rebuilding them or paying for it, so I need to get off my ass and move on this new car thing.
    Kia looks like the only thing in the new car market here that's remotely affordable. I've been looking at lotsa used, but I kinda feel like I wanna do this once for the next few years, and keep all the problems on a warranty as someone elses problems...

So, any thoughts?

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Kia's are junk stay away from them. A guy I worked with had one for 6 months and he traded he lost 6 grand when he traded. It was in the shop for about a month out of the 6 months he owned it for everything under the sun....
    So I say STAY AWAY just my opinion

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My friend has a Rio... it sucks big time. (another friend has he has the Sportage, never heard him complain but I do know in the low impact crash tests it really sucked in those). Get a used Honda... you'd be way better off......

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

oooh boy, two negative opinions already! Maybe there's a reason I can afford them new...

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Id recommend a toyota corolla (99 or newer) if you're looking for something affordable, reliable, comfortable.. thats what my gf drives, she really likes it.. they're cheap NEW.. a used one from a dealer would be really affordable and probably still under warranty.. IMO if its less than a couple years old and has less than say 30, 40, even 50K miles, its might as well be new (in terms of toyotas)..

just some food for thought?

mike

6. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

My old man has a Sportage, and this thing is year old. It has had a new clynder head put in, new tranny, new drive shaft, and all new exhaust.

I have no idea why all these things needed to be done. All i know is they are JUNK!

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

even the most trick gimme-every-option-there-is PT Cruiser has a MSRP under $20k. Get her the stripped down version. Coolest new car on the planet for the price.

J

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

DON'T DO IT!!! I bought a sportage for my now ex-wife paid like 18,500 or so fully loaded, well less than a year later or right about a year I lost over 7 grand when I got rid of it. Tried selling it and nobody wanted to buy it, couldn't get any kind of trade in on it, and the thing was already having problems. Junk, goes along with the others like them, just disposable cars, look at a honda civic for a reliable car. My family hasn't had any problems with the 3 they have owned

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Welllll....

Our big issue is kids. We have two in car seats normally, 3 on weekends when we pick up my stepdaughter (and it's horses**t that she's even in a car seat, huge kid for it), and my wife for some reason thinks ther's a chance we'll have another in the next 5 years, so a minivan is ideal, or a spute. Cars are out, unless we find a late 90's Caprice/Impala or Intrepid we really like. All she cares about is shiny paint and new-looking, but I'd like something that'll have a little bite to it (**mini wife appears on shoulder: "we are also considering a minivan Ratch, and no, a '91 Iroc is not a great family car, no matter how well it fits the budget")...

Our budget is seriously hampered too, we're looking at $15k absolute max. That's why Kia was appealing as a "new" vehicle. I wouldn't mind picking up a 90's pathfinder if I was forced into a japanese spute, though...
    I pretty much consider under 4year/40k mile vehicles new too, but if the price difference isn't going to be that bad versus something new, I'd rather get new. With all this anti-kia talk, though, I'm thinking a little harder on a '96 grand voyeger I looked at earlier today...

Thanks for all the good warnings, y'all!

BTW, funny side note on scummy dealers: We drove past a place today that had signs every stating "all cars under $9995!". One of them was hung from a ramp that had a 2001 Grand Cherokee parked on it, as if advertising itself for under $9,995... Note that it says all "cars" under 9,995... none of which on his lot were newer than 97, with less than 90k on them, thrown between '01 expiditions, durango's, cherokee's, etc...

10. ChevyCaGal

Have you guys considered looking into one of those government auctions? I am planning on going with a friend next weekend to check one out... her dad went a few weeks ago and he said people were buying vehicles worth 2, 3 and 4 times more what they were paying! He said they want like 50% down the day of and then it paid for in full in 30 days. Said you can bring in a mechanic to look over anything and fire them up and even test drive them. Might be something to consider! Someday I plan to buy another car just to keep once I sell my Neon and drive the Blazer as a daily... that way if I wheel in the truck and trash something I won't have to ride a pogo stick to work...

11. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

why buy and brand new car? youll save alot more than youll ever be saved by a warranty on the lower cost of a used car. new cars a horrid investment.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, consider it like this:

'97 Grand Voyager - "high $200's" to own. local used dealer w/ remainder of factory warranty (I don't know what that was). Maybe it was a three year loan, but it's already a 5 year old car that will be 8 years old when paid off for more.

'02/'03 Kia sedona (I think?) unloaded - $139 to own. New, 10 year warranty (I didn't get that warr. info from a dealer, though, just their tv ad). 5 year loan on a vehicle that will only be 5 years old when paid off.

I'm fairly convinced I'm going used now.

Thanks Steph for reminding me of the auctions. I've heard they're extremely restrictive around here during preview, but a buddy of mine got an '87 K5 for $2k in '95, so I guess there's a deal to be had... I should swing by there tonight on my way home...

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Don't get a Chrysler minivan. We have had nothng but problems with our '96. Has about 80K on it, the tranny, rebuilt by the dealer at 60k is goin out again, never has held an alignment, lots of electrical problems. I can't say anything good about it, and I hardly ever drive it...oh yeah...it smells like something died in there.....

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I dont know much about Kia's- ( kids+ crash test= buy GM) however- in regards to chrysler minivans- my aunt has owned them- every 2 years she gets a new one- since 1988--- and has NEVER had a problem with them- now that may be because she only keeps them 2 years- and puts about 50K on them during that time, but other than normal brakes, etc.. she hasn't done anything to them-

I'd stay away from Kia's -- I'd try for a 2000 or 2001 IMPALA , NICE family car- and up here in Vermont- there about 12,000 for a 2001 fully loaded- come on up and buy from here!

Brandy

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

up here in Vermont- there about 12,000 for a 2001 fully loaded

<hr></blockquote>

Hol-eeee crap! That's about half of what they are around here base model! If you're sure of those numbers, that may actually be worth the drive.

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You can get a good deal on a year old car at almost any car lot. But here the catch! Ask them if they have any rentals for sale. You know the ones people drive around when they have their cars being seviced. They are always cleaned inside and out when ever they are brout back they always get serviced and you can usually get a midsized V6 powerd car around the $12.000 price range give or take a little.

17. ChevyCaGal

Just make sure if they are selling a rental they fix it up right... I remember the rental we had in Hawaii and driving backwards through a sugar cane field going 45 on a gravel road... that can't be a good thing! Then when I was Idaho I had a Monte Carlo and drove it on a washboard road going 35... yeah it wasn't smart but it wasn't my car... people beat them things like crazy cuz they aren't theirs!

18. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Hey Ratch, given any thought to a Grand Cherokee? I got a '95 Laredo used, and I run 650 miles a week to work. Get the 4.0 six banger and Selec-Trac case. Good mileage and lotsa choices...2wd, 4wd fulltime, 4wd offroad hi, 4wd offroad low. I've replaced nothing but the occasional lightbulb. 4.0 sixer sounds like a yowling cat when you romp on it, too.

19. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

Sorry to disagree, but both of our '92 Plymouth Grand Voyagers have been great. I drive aboot 120 mi. a day and they hold up great. The only reason we have two is because i flipped our first one down a hill after slamming on the brakes at 60mph. My wife and i were both ok and we walked back up the hill...safety.
    Aboot 4 hours later we went to a dealership, and there was another exactly like ours for $5k...cheap.
    We drove the first one for 3 years, put over 40k mi. on it with very few probs. Find my gallery page if you want to see a pic. of the wreck.

20. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Haha I read the post title and I thought how weird ... "anyone have a 'killed in action?' . I was confused /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif