Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a NAPA part number for a Luk ProGold clutch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerGuy, Jul 11, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I need a 12" one for the 168 tooth flywheel(two-piece rear).

Also, whats the diff between Borg & Beck and a Diaphragm style clutch? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Borg and Beck has the 3 large fingers and the diaphragm style has a whole bunch of little fingers. I find the B&B style has more holding power.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Borg and Beck is rough on your left leg but will provide more holding power. I took Rene's advice and put a diaphram clutch in mine and I'm very happy with it.

I have a Napa clutch but it is a Zoom.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    whats the diff between Borg & Beck and a Diaphragm style clutch

[/ QUOTE ]

diaphragm are bevel spring and the other 2 styles are coil spring IIRC

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think with the hydro the B&B should be a little more forgiving but we'll see...how do you like the Zoom?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. When I first bought my clutch I had a mech linkage so I went with a diaphram because I knew that my left leg couldn't handle the B&B.

I have a hydro clutch now and the pedal effort is far less than it used to be with the mech linkage, but I still will continue to use a diaphram clutch.

As to how I like it, I've had it for over two years now and it has never slipped, not even once. Not in a mud pit, not with a bell housing full of water....never.

If I had umteen million horsepower I might consider a Borg and Beck, but as of now, my diaphram clutch has PLENTY of holding power for my needs, and I have driven it on the road everywhere, and played in mud, sand, rocks, water, you name it....

One word to describe my $140 Zoom clutch from Napa?

Flawless!!

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I need a 12" one for the 168 tooth flywheel(two-piece rear).

[/ QUOTE ]

04-902 for the ProGold
    That is what I have behind my BBC and I LOVE it...I had a Centerforce DF behind my SBC and it was a piece of crap...

Chris

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

All the 85-up trucks with the hydro bell use a diaphragm pressure plate. I'd be concerned over possible reduced life (or outright failure) of the master/slave with the extra pressure required for the B&B unit.

The 60-62 Chevy trucks used B&B pressure plates with hydraulic clutch, but the master and slave were both beefy cast-iron units with 1"+ pistons.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We had a lot of defective 3 fingered Borg and Beck clucthes come back,especially the 12 inch ones--Borg Warner finally told the parts stores to sell the diaphram 12 inch in its place--dont know if it was a design problem,or Borg Warners mexican rebuilding plant to blame--I blame the rebuilders,because I've seen many original GM clutches last well over 100,000 miles,but many of our customers didnt even get 10,000 miles out of the rebuilts,and they didnt abuse them.Maybe this is why its hard to find a rebiult clutch nowadays,their bad reputation kept mechanics from wanting to install one. The 12 inch B&B is a left leg killer,as already stated--I hated the one I had in my 72 K5,it broke 2 pressure plate fingers in a months time,couldnt shift it or stop it,it refused to disengage.I finally put an 11 inch diaphram type in it,worked fine--and I almost pushed the pedal through the floorboard the first time I depressed it,it was so easy compared to the other type clutch--almost thought there was something wrong it was so easy!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. couch

couch Registered Member

Now the flywheels the same between the two types of clutches right?

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, flywheel doesn't change...both the Borg and Beck and the diaphram style bolt up the same way.

Rene

12. couch

couch Registered Member

Alright. I'm gonna go exchange my new 3 finger for a diaphragm out of a 87 k5? And it should all be cherry. My hydro bellhousing should be here this week