Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have a paint booth I can use???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Apr 12, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so now I am getting ready to get my truck painted.. well trust me I dont want or need a expensive job.. only paint so the surface rust stops coming through... Im going to sand it back down to metal and primer... however here is the deal...

maaco wants $300 to paint the outside of the truck.. no prep, no primer
    extra $150 to do the 2 door jams (only the door jam and the door!!!!

so $450 so far... then they will give me the paint code and I can buy the paint in rattle cans to paint the dash as they wont paint the dash....

now I found a place online for $35-$70 for a gallon of paint, hardner (oh gosh he said hard-ner)....

so even at 2 gallons.. I could paint the entire truck, door jams and dash cheaper...

so all in all anyone live kinda near by where I could use their booth?

I also know someone else that painted his truck and I asked him how much could we do mine and he said $700...well that is too much too....

this was a funny conversation:
    Wife: how much does a paintjob cost?
    Me: {pause}
    Wife: like $4,000 right?
    Me: YEAH RIGHT!!! WHY $4,000!!!!?????
    Wife: Well I figure if you get a good paintjob then you will take care of the truck.
    Me: No I will bounce off of a tree or lay the truck on its side and go... OH MY $4,000 PAINT JOB!!!!

so I had to explain to her that a $300 or $4000 paintjob are the same... well they use the same paint methods.... air compressor, paint sprayer..

yes I know you can get candy apple red or that camellion purple color and it is like $5000 a gallon but not for me!!!!!

so anyone got a paint booth not too far from 08094 (williamstown nj)????

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just shoot it in the driveway...

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah my neighbors will love that.... overspray on their $350k houses :haha:

seriously I just may load up my air compressor.... borrow my dads spray gun and go to my moms house... she has a few acres... I could get it out in the open where I dont have to worry about overspray...

I can take the truck apart.. .seat out, dash out, lights and grill off... tape off the windshield and back window and side windows....

then spray away :wink1:

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

wet the driveway, if your that close, wet the neighbors house as well too. I paint all the time in the driveway, while the neighbor is at work. You can always lay plastic sheeting, but that's only necessary if the house is close to the painting area. One of those car cover garage tarp structures works well as a cheap paint booth.

5. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

shoot i'd take it to your moms, wet the ground around it to keep down dust, and spray it early in the morning before the bugs are out.

6. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

I"d build a little "garage" with an open door out of plastic sheeting from home depot and just wet the pavement and shoot it in there. With the back being open you'll still have airflow, but the dust should be limited. Also don't forget a respirator, that's one area you don't want to screw around with.

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

by the time the paint floats over to the neighbors house it will be dry, assuming you're not super close packed in your neighborhood. if theres any paint on their stuff, you could just pressure wash all the specs off - no biggie.