Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a parrot?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Dec 6, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

So does anyone else own a parrot? I got this guy, Rambo, a Blue Crown Amazon (least I think so he might be an orange wing, his markings are hard to tell) below a couple of months ago. He looks pretty ratty and skinny here cuz he was. My friend bought him and then decided she didn't want him anymore. So I got him from her. He looks so much better now and is filling out. Only problem is he bites the crap out of me everytime I try to touch him when he's on his cage. When I get him off his cage and in another room he lets me hold him and pet him fine. But that cage makes him insane. Do I need a new cage or what? Seems like he is over protective of it. He might be since he is 6 and it's the only one he's ever lived in. Anyhow who can recommend a good book or two on working with him. I found a few but wanted to hear what works for you because I don't wanna drop $20 on a book that sucks... thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[​IMG]

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Awwwww, How cute!

I had a cockatiel for a few years, his name was spike. We had a skylight installed in our house and i think the sheetrock dust is what ended up killing the poor bird.

If you want to teach the bird how to whistle or say something.... I'd record it once on a tape, and then either loop it or dub it over and over again, and then play that tape for the bird when i'd leave the house.
    You come back and what do ya know, the bird is saying what you wanted to teach it.
    It must annoy the crap outta the bird, but he'll learn what you want him to say. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Had an African Grey for a few years...he startd to hate women after my wifes aunt watched him for a week(who could blame him /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) and we gave him to a friend...dont rember what books we got but they were all short paperbacks...about the only talking he did was the answering machine and he cussed alot like me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif so repeditivness is good /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

try birdways.com, when the males reach maturity they can be mean, go figure /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. ChevyCaGal

Teaching him to talk is not an issue. He never shuts up! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's the biting thing that is the problem. He makes you seriously bleed when he gets you. He tore a fat hole in my middle finger last month when I was trying to pet him. Then he laughed at me. He seriously laughed! I was so mad! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Besides laughing, which he has about 4 different ones he does he says, hello, hello Rambo, how are you, what are you screaming about, Jessica (friends kids name of who owned him before), dammit (friends ex bf taught him that), cat calls, even knows how to waves and says a few more things. He's really smart, just likes to bite. I will say to him don't bite mama and he'll say back to me owie owie owie and laugh... little brat!

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That's funny!

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Last parrot we had latched onto my dads finger and refused to let go, dad casually walked to the kitchen, put the plug in the sink and filled it. He then inserted hand and bird under water. Needless to say the bird let go. He was a little nip happy but he wouldnt release this time so dad did what he had to. Stopped him from biting tho. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

We used to let him loose in the house for the most part, and dad had JUST commented he needed to trim his wings again that he was flying too good. He flew right out the door dad was standing in and was gone. We could hear him for MONTHS in the area till we got the yrs first snow. (and this was many yrs after the dunking incident) LOL!

If hes real territorial over his cage get him a new one and see how it goes. At 6 yrs he could prob use newer and bigger cage anyhow.

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My mom had a cockatiel a few years ago.. And they would just let it fly around in the house.. When ever anybody with a bald head would come in to the house he would dive bomb that persons head untill we would put a hat on them.. Funniest thing we ever saw...

9. ChevyCaGal

Well, the cage is big (it's 3'x2'x2') enough... but I think he's just too possessive of it. That's the only thing I can figure out... oh and his wings are trimmed. I take him to have that done. For $8 it's worth it let someone else do it since he'd be bald if I had a go at it... too bad new cages run $350 and I need rims and other stuff. Rambo is gonna have to wait a bit longer for a new home...

10. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I have a blue and gold Macaw! Time is the answer. I bought my bird from a breeder. She was 4 My wife could not touch her for two years. It's all about Domanice and Patience. They will bond to you in time and then they are very enjoyable. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif [​IMG]

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Birds are the worst pets in existance. I had a green winged Mc Caw for 6 months. He completely took over the house and kept attacking the dog. He screamed so loud when I started to look like I was leaving that it would hurt my ears. I finally shot him...

JK... I gave him away and that person shot him after 3 months. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I see the problem You had an Irish "Mc Caw" of the Caw Clan. I hear they are Drinkers and Biters, Mean buggers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

hmmmmmm.Parot I wonder what that tastes like?Maybe chicken?
    Sell him or cook 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

Interesting----how long have you had Rambo and when did your headaches start? Maybe an alergy.

15. ChevyCaGal

I got Rambo right after Labor Day weekend. Before hand I was around him for more then 3 years whenever I went to my friends house. Never bothered me before. I just think I am stressed out. Last 2 years around here have seriously sucked. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rank them a 15. My job is now starting to wear me out. Being low on the todem pole means I get to do my job and whatever else gets dumped on me. I didn't use to mind... I was handling it all fine. But now I own my own house and it's costing me a small fortune! So money for sure is an issue here.... maybe I just need to sit down and figure out what I don't need and do.... than plan out how to pay for it all! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good plan. You will have a feeling of being more in control and that will probably take away alot of the stress. Also, I don't know how long you've worked at your present job, but if it is causing too much stress, too, maybe it is time to move on to a better one. I, too, was forced to face this myself. Only right now I have no job at all. Not suggesting that. It was out of my control. I've had a lot of time at home and was able to get a lot of important stuff done that I couldn't before. Am trying to get my own business going. Thanks for your last post. What you said, has helped me a great deal as well. Now to put the plan into action. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

My dad had a parrot when he was a kid. I remember it when I was a little "gus". It was great with me and my 2 brothers but hated my Mom, used to go after her feet all the time. Dad thought it was an "estrogen" thing... I figure girls just taste better than stinky little boys. It's name was Billy, lived for nearly 30 years, we got home movies of it eating a chocolate bar and drinking from my Dad's beer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I say were leather gloves /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hey Steph, I'm sure something of the 12 gauge, #7 shot variety would solve the bird's biting problems in approximately one pull of the trigger. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Bubba,,, That would blow the feathers right on into space... I think a nice little 410 would do the trick nicely and without a lot of useless mess...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Animals is my subject.
    Get a new cage, make sure the total height of the bird on the cage is about 3 inches below the shortest adult in the house.
    birds get on a cage and they end up being taller than the person taking care of them. in a birds eye they live thier ife as follows: im higer up in the tree, therfore i am dominant.
    make sure you get a quality cage. SPEND THE MONEY.
    it sucks, but as i am sure you already know hookbills like yours will chew through ANYTHING.
    continue to hold him as much as possible, but if you have other adults in the house done let him get a favorite person to easily. it will happen, but you can lessen it. when he bites give him a gental thump on the beak and a FIRM "no"
    give him LOTS of stuff to chew on in his cage. and reprimand him when chewing on stuff outside his cage not to be chewed on.
    any hadrback large or small on parrots or amazons will work. i strongly recomend the general books as well as the specifics. also take him to the vet. he does need shots, and does need his wings trimmed. DO NOT TRIM HIS WINGS YOURSELF! let the vet or pet store do it. a bir like that has a memory like an elaphant. he will think of you as the bad guy(or in this case girl)
    i can go ON AND ON!! but if you are looking for any specifics let me know and ill shoot you my phone number.
    i have 2 years experience in a zoo, 22 years of general animal care of all types and 18 months in a pet stoe. i know what is going on and a lot of the training tips of all animals you may have.
    good luck, and i envy you for such a great bird.
    Grant