Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a plow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Woodman89, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

I am considering installing a plow on my blazer. My family owns a parking lot and we pay this guy $3000 per year to keep it plowed in the winter. I have been told that a longer wheelbase truck would make a better plow. Plus I dont know If I want to abuse my truck. On the other hand, my blazer is no spring chicken either. Any thoughts on this?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

A Blazer/Jimmy does a good job on drives and smaller parking lots, but I am not to sure it would be large enough for large parking lots. You have to remember that the farther you have to push the snow the more weight you will be contending with. With a lighter setup and a lot of snow you may get to the point where you can't push it. What does the present plow person use. Around here for medium to large parking lots I have seen Blazers and pickups being used, but mainly in the tight spots and for clean up after the larger trucks (1 ton to dump trucks) take care of the heavy stuff. As far as wheelbase, I like my K5 because it has a shorter wheelbase and you can manuver around a little better than with a full size pickup. I keep about 450 pounds of sand bags in the rear for traction and to counter balance the plow. Myself I have never plowed large lots because of what I stated above. Even on small lots plowing goes pretty good with 2-3 inches of snow, but when you get 6 inches + with drifts it is very slow going and very hard on the equipment......hope this helps

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can do it but you will need heaver springs in the front to support the weight of the plow. An axle truss would also be a good idea. Good snow tires(not big wide tires) and some weight in the back help.
    Plowing is hard on a truck it puts a lot of wear on the frame, suspention,and drivetrain. Thats why snowplowers charge so much. Its also a lot more work than it looks like.
    I would not use my daily driver to plow a lot of snow. But for occoasional use it should be ok. If you are just going to use it to plow the one lot, dont get in a hurry and take it easy on your rig and it should do ok. I have found that automatic trans are better than manual for plowing. With a manual,If you plow a lot you go through a lot of clutches and input/output shaft bearings. Also the less time spent driving around with the plow hanging off the front of your K5 the better.

5. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I was just curious if anyone plows professionally and what you guys charge. I have a chance to get a plow put on, but want to know what the going rate is for plowing, shoveling and salting. I know this isn't exactly the right forum for this question, but I saw this post so it kind of fits. Is it by the square footage, as far as parking lots and is it like $20 minimum for residential driveways? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mich89k5

6. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

The guy plowing the lot now has an 60's dodge power wagon (which is actually a pretty cool truck). It does have a longer wheelbase than my K5. I wouldnt be able to bear the sight of my blazer with 4 pizza cutter tires on it all winter. After thinking about it more I may just get a beater pickup for the job. Something I wont even register and just leave there. That way I can fill the back with salt/sand and dont have to worry about abusing it.

As for what to charge, I would say that $20 per storm is reasonable for driveways. Parking lots, Im not sure about that (but im pretty sure that the guy in the power wagon was putting the screws to us). You need to take into account that you may need to plow the same place more than once during the storm to do the job right. The best thing to do is find a cul-de sac near where you live and get a bunch in the same area. It can be a real pain to drive all over the place during a snowstorm to plow each person out.

7. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info Woodman89.

Mich89k5

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think your better off taking that $3000 and geting a 3/4ton-1ton beater rig to get at the snow. Your K5 will take it for a little while but if its your primary source of transport I wouldnt do it.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

9. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

today was the first good snow fall here in manhattan. I plowed my dads driveway and went on to the lot i was going to plow. Got about three passes and the tranny stared to slip something awful. well lets just say i guess ill be getting a rebuilt tranny for x-mass this year.

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL