Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a quirky pet food supplement?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 3, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My wife and I are sort of butting heads on this... I occasionally grind up eggshells and give them to our beast with her food (although yesterday withotu food). I've read that it's good for their coat and bones, and she was shedding a lot over the summer from we suspect a dietary deficiency. She loves the eggshell, too.
    Our vet told me to feed her a raw egg now and then to supplement her food, but I did a little internet research and found that raw egg is pretty bad for dogs. So I was scrambling an egg for her about once or twice a week. Her coat seems much better, now, too.

So I did a little research on egg shells, and it seems they're a great source of calcium for dogs. I ran across a LOT of recommendations to feed her raw eggs, too, though. A lot of sites are recommending a "raw food" diet, but a couple people I've asked in the veterinary field said stay away from raw. Then other sites are recommending dropping an egg in the blender, shell and all, and feeding that to her.

Normally we feed her dry food, lamb and rice junk. Occasionally a powdered nutrient supplement with it.

My wife gave me the old "Would you want to eat egg shells?" Look, I don't go around sniffing people's butts when I first meet them, I don't try to catch moths with my mouth, I've never licked someone to say their my friend, nor to I chase flashlight beams, so I don't think my opinions are really compatible with my dogs... But Yes, I would eat eggshells if they were pallatable. Maybe I will tonight just as a gag for her :rotfl: :rotfl:...

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thats because you were BOOOORN TO BOGGIE brother, born to boogie :D :haha:

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

That's frickin' hilarious.

We give our dogs a supplement that is made for horses (vet recommended it), seems to work great and is much cheaper than the supplement for dogs is. Has a lot of different vitamins and minerals and the glucosamine for our fat dog's joints.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

IF heaven aint alot like Dixie, i dont want to go.......... :haha:

5. gauder

gauder Banned

Glucosamine and Chondritin supplements for my 13yr old. Vet recommended it for his joints.

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd crack an egg into a cup and whisk it real quick and spread it over the food. Also helps them gain weight, if you really need to do that.

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

We do that for our 10yr old dane / lab mix. he bounds around like a puppy still. you can save yourself some cash and use the supplements from the grocery store, and not buy the " animal specific " brands.. they're the same stuff.

Tom

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I don't really give my dogs too many extras. They get lamb and rice dry food, pig ears and milk bones.

My little pitbull has dry skin so I drizzle a little olive oil on her food and it seems to help.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Some oil or grease help the fur and egg anyway seems to be good. So a frried egg could be good too. But to many eggs give sandy gas and i don't need that. :doah: She is the baby and mostly eats our food anyway. Only eats dog groceries when we miss a couple meals at the house and she is alone. :crazy:

10. gauder

gauder Banned

Good advice Tom, the vet actually told me to buy it at Costco. lol.

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

What kind of food do you feed her? If you give them good dog food and not Science diet or Kibbles and bits then you shouldn't need to give her supplements. If you want her to have a nice shiney coat then feed her AvoDerm. It has avocado in it which will make her coat glisten. Other good foods are Canidae, Innova, and California Natural.

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Ours get the raw egg shell and all 2 or 3 times a month, wife says its good for the coat.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't know the brand we're using now, but it's rice and lamb dry food. The powdered stuff we give her is from a couple sample bottles of this. Not the dog food, but an additive...