Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a utility bed truck?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by bowtiepower00, Nov 2, 2006.

1. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Just wanted your opinions if you've ever had a utility bed truck, or even just truck toolboxes.

I've used the standard crossover truckbox setup, with and without side boxes and/or pipe racks. On a low height truck they work OK, but just aren't as convient and easy to use frequently. Easier for carpenter style tools than mechanic's tools.
    I've mostly worked out of 3/4 ton SRW trucks with a full utility box. Much easier than truckboxes, but more expensive too. Not a huge compromise in functionality for a DD/ workrig.
    I've never really used a 1-ton dually with a utility bed, the extra space would have to be nice, and it's pretty easy to overload a 3/4 ton truck. I've looked at them, the boxes seem to be twice as deep.
    Has anyone run a larger 450+ rig? The 650 size trucks are nice, but not nearly as manuverable or offroad capable. Also much, much more expensive.

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

FWIW my shop truck, Chevy 3500, has a utility bed. For electrical work, it rules, I always have all the tools I need, and a huge assortment of material. Keeps trips to the supply house to a minimum.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Service beds make great camping rigs. Friend of mine had all of his normal trail tools & what-not on one side and all of the family's camping gear on the other side of his CC SRW 1t. Needless to say, they could go camping at the drop of a hat.
    Probably not what you're looking for, but I thot I'd toss that out there anyway.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

I had one on the Dodge, it wouldn't clear my gooseneck, so I took it off and built a flatbed. I've been trying to sell it, you know anyone in the valley who might need/want it?

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

service bed on my work truck (property maintenance repairs for a couple dozen apartments) is a godsend. I've got more crap packed into those boxes than you could imagine.

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I use a service truck for work with a utility bed on a F450. The cool thing about this one is that it has a retractable top over the "bed" portion between the two side boxes. I can load things up in the be and pull the ocver closed and have a weather tight enclosed area. Having a utility bed is a great convenience if it is the right design. Some of our trucks have built in tool drawers others don't and the driver has to find a tool chest to fit inside the cabinet. The new truck i will be getting soon will no longer have to covered bed but will have built in drawers, bolt bin type drawers which will be great as well as all the shelves having little dividers that can be added to keep things from sliding around. Basically they can be great if well laid out or a nightmare if not.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My F250 SC has a utility bed and racks that span the length of the truck,with ratchet straps attached to the rack. The bed has 2 doors on each side, plus a large door at the front that opens to 2 full width shelves, plus a full width drawer that slides to either side.

I typically carry air compressor, mitre saw, drills, carpenters hand tools, 3 ladders and about 100 pounds of screws and nails. On the roof rack I have placed enough metal roof panels to cover 2400 sq ft house. For my money, the rack is worth more than the box. Nothing like being able to load up on 16-20 foot long boards . Right now, I am using the truck as scaffolding to erect my metal building. Just throw some planks across the rack and climb on up.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Utility beds have many advantages.. camping..mobile shop.. farm duty
    however

they are heavy if you dont actually use them (2k and up)

arent good for wheeling the truck

need more maintanence than a regular body (if you take care of your equipment)

Given that I have loved every one I have owned

Highway Products in White City Oregon has the nicest ones in the U.S.
    (Aluminum custom made) their work is first rate and way above your typical body builder

Ive owned
    Koenig
    Diamond
    Utility
    bodies.... they were all pretty similar
    About 4500-6000 new
    1000-4000 used for good ones
    500 for ones that need some work

I sold a nice body off a v3500 forest service mechanics rig that needed paint but was a super body for 500...