Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have a Vortec truck? thinkin about buying one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, Apr 8, 2003.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm really thinking about selling the Blazer and getting a 96-98 1/2 ton 2wd extended cab truck...i've had too many problems with it lately, just isnt as reliable as it used to be. Sure is nice to have a truck that is simple to work on, parts are cheap, etc. Blazer also has a new tranny and rearend, and i can count on replacing those on any truck i get, since everything out there has at least 80K on it. I really like the Blazer but its not very parctical and i haven't been wheelin in it for over a year. The nice thing about a new truck is i can sell my Blazer and almost buy one with the money i get from it, reliable, good on the highway, and its got a bed, something i wish my blazer had many times. I've driven some of these and they are real nice, love the Vortec engine, and how they drive/handle...only thing that scares me is the computer stuff on it. If thats the problem, I guess i could get a 95 or older, but then I'm buying a 10 year old truck with problems, and i already have one of those, and then the benefits of having a truck newer than the blazer are gone. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know of a few problems with the newer ones, like dex cool eating gaskets, the wiper issues, stuff like that. Dont really know why i posted this, maybe someone has some opinions on it. thanks

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Re: anyone have a Vortec truck? few questions

Sell your blazer, get a clean 73-75, get the rear rino lined and you just about have a truck, plus it's pimp too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

thats kinda the opposite direction im trying to go with this

4. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

2 words....no emmisions, think about it, keep it clean and simple and problems should be far and in-between. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

once you get into the morgage game, you will have nothing but troubles, and ones that are very difficult, and usually expensive to work on.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i haven't been wheelin in it for over a year.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There's your problem! Just take 'er out, shove it into 4lo and then you'll remember just why you own a K5, but if your gonna buy a newer 2WD I can get you a sweet deal a cool lookin' jar that you can store your nuts in! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Just Kidding! I can understand the not-havin-a-bed stuff. There's so many times when I wish I had a regular-ass pickup...

7. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have a 96 1500 ext cab 4x4 gmc it has 285k on it. i love the vortec i never have any major problems with it. other than the leaky intake gasket and wiper problem. the only computer related problems i have had are the o2 sensors and egr vavle just replaced them. the vortec is a big improvement over the past 350s the computer has alot to do with that. so i wouldnt be scared to buy another one. but i sure wouldnt wont a 2 wheel drive get a 4x4 the ifs has never given me a problem either . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

problem is, its got different gears in the front and back...and i've sort of lost interest in it. I would want a 4x4 but not an IFS one, and since i harldy ever use it, i really cant justify needing it...right now my plan is this:
    if the engine is trahsed or needs replaced, i will put a crate motor in and keep it.
    If the engine can run well again, I will sell it as is. It was running great, and as far as i know there was nothing internal that changed, so it should run like that again.

I just came up with that plan, well see what i think tomorrow

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

4x4K20 - how long have you had it? Tranny and rearend rebuilt? wish i knew more about those trucks

10. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have had it for over 3 years the 4l60e has been rebuilt twice once at 135k and just about 2 months ago it was rebuilt again at 282k . i do alot of towing with it and it does very well when towing it has the 3;42 gear with the factory locker its the s/f 14 bolt rear.. the rear has never been into. also we have 2 other trucks at work a 96 k2500 and a 97k1500 it has 137k on it and the 96 is at 158k so i can tell you from experinence that they are very good trucks . they all have had the intake gasket leak but nothing ever major. so if you are looking for a good truck find a 96 up if you go with the 1500 try to find one with the factory tow package most of them come with the 14 bolt s/f rear end thay are easyer to find in the 4x4s but some 2x4s had them. but then again if you get a 2x4 they is nothing wrong with the 10 bolt rear.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure im going to sell it. I have been thinking about this for a long time, i havent really used it for the reasons i got it, so all the extra costs of having a 4x4 arent really justified...like spending $140 for a tire when a stock size 2wd tire is $60...and now i'm just drving it cause i like it too much. problem is, i hate having it down for a month at a time, dont have enough time to work on it and need something more dependable. Its in real good shape though, not going to let it go for less than $6500. whoever buys it will be getting a great truck.