Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a widescreen LCD monitor?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've had the same 19"(non-flat tube) monitor for the last 5 years. It is about time for an upgrade. I was drooling over monitors at Staples tonight and decided I want a widescreen LCD. However, not sure what to get. Was looking at the Samsung 225BW, 22" one. 22" looks like it would get me about where I want to be, stepping to LCD from my 19".

Any thoughts from owners of widescreen lcds? Play any games on yours? I know Half-Life 2 has a widescreen setup option, but don't know of many other games that do.

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

research it... I know the lcd's had issues with games, tho i think most coming out today don't have the probs...

try finding a 21" crt these days... had to settle for a 19" last time, nobody had a 21...

4. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

LCD's and console gaming dont mesh, because all the TV grade LCD's have digital picture correction that takes a little time to happen. causing the picture on the screen to be slightly delayed. normally 70-80 ms (which might not seem like much but REALLY is)

LCD's for PC gaming are fine, but AVOID value brands like the plague. LG, Viewsonic, and acer are all very good.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That looks sexy.

Anywho, since you're such a movie buff, will you be using the screen for flicks? Or will you be consistently using a different screen for that? That may factor into what you need/want. If not, I'd go down a little from 22", but I don't know your budget, or what tickles your fancy either.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I haven't decided on the movie thing. Likely I won't be using it for that. If I were to, I'd look more at a LCD Monitor/TV rather than just a monitor and watching movies on my computer. I think I will just set aside some money and purchase a nice large 30 some inch LCD for watching movies. This is mostly about the fact that i spend the majority of my time on my computer and I've had the same old CRT 19" for the past 5 years while LCD technology has jumped leaps and bounds around me. And my CRT pretty much monopolizes my desk. My wrists hang off the edge of the desk. It sure would be nice to move my keyboard OFF the edge of the desk. Oh and my monitor is white and sticks out like a sore thumb in my dark green room with a black PC. So I want a black monitor.

RJ, that monitor is looking like a steal at that price... Looks like a good compromise between the 19" pricing and the 22" sizing. Hmm hmm hmm. By "Load" with the 1600x1200 to 1680x1050 comparison, what do you mean? I run 1600x1200 on my 19" CRT and would like to have a similar thing going with LCD, which is one of the reasons I was looking more to the 22"ers.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I ran a 19" at 1600 x 1200 too, and I didn't want to lose resolution on a standard 4:3 19" at 1280x1024.

With 1680x1050, I loose 150 lines of verticle resolution, but the width is 80 more, and it turns out that that works for my needs (art) fine.

By load, I just mean the video adapter is not pushing as many pixels.

1600x1200 = 1,920,000
    1680x1050 = 1,764,000

FWIW, I loaded Doom 3 last night. My old ass 6600GT won't run full resolution at high smoothly, but just looking at it as is, it looks amazing.

I just mailed in my rebate for the monitor. Check the reviews. This product is being awarded some sort of newegg award too. They must be selling a ton of them.

Mine came with no dead pixels and it's damn nice all around. Very bright.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just bought the same Monitor RJ has. For the specs and price I can't beat it. And I've had good experience with Sceptre monitors before. But that was years ago(if you can't tell by my having the same one for so many years). I think I will be happy.