Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have a winch on there car trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Gonna be getting another trailer real soon and would like to put a winch on the front. How do you guys wire them up? Do you have a seperate battery on the trailer just for the winch? Or are they wired to the tow vehicle some how?
    What size winch are you running/recommend?
    Any pics of how the winch is mounted?
    Thanks/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of the guys at my work has a really slick setup - he has a Warn Multi Mount with the Quick Connects - and he built a mount for the winch in the trailer too - the connection from the winch is long enough that it still reaches the rear truck connection even when mounted on the trailer - that's how I'd do mine.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Any chance you can get some pics and how he did it?

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well his car trailer is out in tim-buck-too - so let me try and explain it...

All he did was weld a receiver plug at a 90 degree angle to some more square tubing going vertical and weld that assembly into the trailer floor - at the very front of the trailer bed. It's a little bit off the floor - which really helps for loading stuff, as the winch cable doesn't drag on the trailer deck.

It's not really pretty - but it works great!

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have a ramsey 8000 that i use for my rear winch when wheelin fits in my reciever on the blazer.so i got another truck reciver hitch and attached it to my car trailer for the winch...i have 25ft jumper cables wired to my winch to power it..it also works on anybodys vehicle with a reciever hitch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a boat winch on my trailer. I got it used and I forget the rating, but it pulls my Blazer up on the trailer and in between the fenders just fine. I fastened a seperate marine battery to the bed of my Ram that I charge the night before a run. I've also used this battery to jump other trucks too, it comes in handy

7. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

I just bought one of those batteries that have both posts and screw in connectors. Then I got some double ought welding wire and two male welding connectors and the two female as well. Put the two male connectors on the wires comin from the winch and two female on the wires leadin to the battery posts. What this does is make a direct connection straight from the battery to the winch. Quick and dirty. Good luck and such.

Allan

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I use a warn 8274 on mine, mounted it to the front of the deck so it goes up with the tilt. I just use the one battery and have a hot wire from the truck to keep the battery charged. This and a steel deck makes it handy for loading junkyard treasures (don't need no wheels...)
    &lt;p&gt;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    One of the guys at my work has a really slick setup - he has a Warn Multi Mount with the Quick Connects - and he built a mount for the winch in the trailer too - the connection from the winch is long enough that it still reaches the rear truck connection even when mounted on the trailer - that's how I'd do mine.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats how i will be doing mine as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i have the winch just don't have the trailer yet /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif