Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have a yamaha grizzly 660?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrpoorboy, Apr 4, 2005.

1. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

interested in purchasing a yamaha grizzly 660 soon. would like to know your likes and dislikes of the atv. thanks

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I have had my Grizzley since '02,,It is one tough S.O.B is all I can say,,
    It amazes me how much stuff I have put it through and it just keeps coming back for more. I ride with a large group of all different ATV's and it allways seems me and the other 4 guy's with Grizzleys are at the front of the pack waiting for the others to catch up or make repairs. I have 28" Outlaws on my Grizzley and if you buy one,, that would be the only thing I would recomend changing.
    The factory tires suck and you will not be able to use the bike to it's full potenetial. Other than that,, routine maintenance and a set of brake pads is the only thing I've done to mine,,It is a belt drive system so you will have to drain the belt box if you drive through deep water.and I've been through water up to the handlebars,,

I rode the 700 polairis and was not impressed,,The Grizz makes more low end torque and pulls hills a lot better.( My .02 )

Although it's plenty fast it is not a racing bike,,the suspension does not like to be pushed hard (doughnuts,, power sliding and such ) and will highside if you
    get sideways with it. My friend was doing powerslides on his one day and the tires hooked up and he was launched about 5 feet into to air,,the bike then rolled off into a lake!!

I also helped recover a guy that fell off a ravine about 20 ft into a creek,,he was broken up pretty bad,,and after he was lifeflighted out,we went back to recover his Grizzley,we winched it out of the ravine,,straightened the handle bars,,drained the water from the cylinder and air box,,cranked it up and rode it back to his camp.

Another friend of mine had his roll out of the back of his pick-up at 70 MPH when a strap broke,,the bike endo'ed about 3 times and barrel-rolled several times,,other than handlebars,two bent rims,and some road rash on the skins,the bike was fine.

These are some extreme circumstances and I'm not saying you should judge a purchase as to how a bike survives a fall from a pckup at 70 MPH or survives a 20 ft fall,,but it does show that it is one tough bike,,,

Get one,,, you won't be dissappointed,,,,

3. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

thanks for the info. have you ever had a problem with the high temperatures in the fuel system? mostly regarding the fuel tank. i know i will be picking one up in a couple of weeks, but i just want to know if there are any other problems. electrical system, push button 4 wheel drive/locker button and of course the fuel tank problem.