Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have access to a Sony CDX-C90 Head Unit???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Greg72, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BozoWise, Prembird, 73K5 (Ryan) or anyone else who might have contacts...

Looking for the Sony CDX-C90 head unit. I know, I know it's been discontinued for a while now. I'm doing the e-Bay search thing currently, but I'd like to see if anyone here knows where I can get one. Doesn't have to be cosmetically PERFECT for what I'm using it for, but it does have to be functionally perfect.

Let me know if you have one, or know where I can get one.

Thanks!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Greg72

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

wow. I'm guessing that is a very high quaility unit even by todays standards(due to the price it fetched). Looks like it has lots of neat gizmos to go with it. Are thos duplex plugs the pre outs? And whats the round thing with the green bottom next to the remote in the ebay photo?

4. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    wow. I'm guessing that is a very high quaility unit even by todays standards(due to the price it fetched). Looks like it has lots of neat gizmos to go with it. Are thos duplex plugs the pre outs? And whats the round thing with the green bottom next to the remote in the ebay photo?

[/ QUOTE ]

The C90 sold for around $1200 new. This one is still in the box and has never been installed, so that's about as "new" as they come these days. The "green" you see is probably just the release paper for double-stick tape at the bottom of the joystick controller. I find those joysticks to be too gimmicky, so I may just disassemble it and use the wiring harness for more conventional knobs and buttons on a controller of my own design.

The duplexes ARE the 4V pre-outs. This deck has NO onboard amp, so you have to use seperate power amps with it. Oh, yes I also get a [monster garage] FREEEEEBIE [/monster garage]... two 6-disk CD changers that I can hide somewhere else in the vehicle.....that was a nice little bonus that I was willing to pay a bit more to get.

The reason I wanted this particular deck is that it's one of the few I could find with A.) High voltage outputs and B.) input jack for a remote keypad and display. The deck will be mounted somewhere remote, and the small keypad and LCD screen will probably end up in a custom dealio in the ashtray so that I can keep the whole system hidden. The stock AM radio will still sit in the factory opening in the center of the dash. I've given thought to reworking the AM radio so that the knobs actually control functions on the Sony but would still be useable as a "plain old AM mono" radio if I wanted to screw with people's minds......!!!!! What stereo? All I've got is this AM thing right here..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not a lot of "cost" to do stuff like that.....just TIME, which if you think about it......is just as hard to come by as money sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That's a pretty sweet looking deck. What year(s) was it made?

6. Greg72

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

man I just had one in my s series, it crapped out about 6 months ago...ended up going with a pioneer premier to replace it but indeed it was a nice sounding unit.