Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have an 88 Suburban Wiring Schematic handy? M_J?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, May 24, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I need to trace the wiring for my electric auxillary fan for the tow rig. Its running hot and the Aux Fan is not kicking on. I replaced the relay without results.

Does this hook into a temp sensor somewhere?

The truck is an 88 3/4 ton 2wd Suburban with a 454 TBI.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Also - M_J, what is that software you have with wiring diagrams? I'd like to purchase a copy if you think its worth the money.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

pm muddytazz i belive he does /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think you'll find that the fan is controlled by a temp switch in the passenger side head. When it switches on, it turns on the relay. At least that's the way the aux. fans were wired on GM cars of that era... You can also find switches that will turn on the fans at lower temps.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

did muddytazz hook you up?

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Library on Microfisch, 10 cents a copy.

Yep on the 454 the sensor is in the passengerside head. It doesn't come on till 225 degrees. YES 225f.

Here is the problem I found with mine when I had overheat porblems last year. The spacing on the A/C coil is larger then the radiator. The Radiator was packed in with bugs prety good as a result. My radiator had not been serveds as well and I had a little bit of cloging. I went to a 60/40 mix on the coolant. That keeps me at 210 or under most of the time.

Ohhhhh and I found that mine had a real bad habbit of getting off the hwy and temp coming up. I have oil tel and tranny temp. When ever it did this I could tell it was going to happen because the oil temp was way up. Slowing down 5mph fixed it. Thes motors don't like running 3k for extended time even with the AUX oil cooler and a tranny cooler. They make big heat when they get up near 3k rpm. Under 2700 I never have the problem including towing 5600lb. 2500rpm is the majic number.