Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have an exploded diagram of a 98 tahoe IFS?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by spartan4x4, Dec 18, 2004.

1. spartan4x4

spartan4x4 Registered Member

the differential axle bearings are pretty worn in this IFS chunk, and since the pinion seal is leaking i'm going to rebuild the unit, all except the gears. does anyone have a good exploded diagram that breaks this unit down? TIA

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

NO sorry. Its pretty straight forward, It splits open and the carrier comes out. Have fun, tey can be a real PITA and sometimes thay can be easy. To get the carrier races out, if you heat it up (like put it in a parts washer) and then slam it on the ground they should fall out, if not, you can weld a bead on the race then slam it on the gorund, it should fall out. The pinion races are hard to get in and out too, along with the axles.

3. spartan4x4

spartan4x4 Registered Member

thanks for the info, but i'm not changing the carrier bearings or any of that, i'm changing the small needle bearings that the axle shaft rides inside of.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HAHA, I am an idiot. Sorry.