Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have an extra title & vin tag?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldbandit, Jan 12, 2001.

1. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of building a gmc jimmy but i don't have a title. I was wondering if anyone had a texas title & vin from a blazer or jimmy that they are parting out and would sell me the title & vin plate. It doesn't matter about the year, as long as it is from the 73+ body style and the vinn tag is the large square one that is located in the drivers side door jam (not in the drivers side lower dash under the windshield).

thanks
    baldbandit@hotmail.com

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I do believe I have one...what's something like that worth? Will it hinder me later if I get rid of it now?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

3. baldbandit

I can get a bonded title for $140 and two vehicle appraisels. Its just alot of trouble and $. I was thinking if i could buy one for maybe $50 from a blazzer or jimmy that someone was parting out. It won't hender you unless you plan to register the vehicle to drive on the street but if you are parting it out, i dought you would want to register it.. Originally I was just building an off road only jimmy, but have since changed my mind and want to be able to drive it on the street. Let me know!

baldbandit

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'll kick it your way for $75. It's a fort worth, texas title for an '80 model K5...and the vin tag too. We're pulling the winshield and steering column this weekend anyways, it'll make it easy to get to. I can send it out to you next week if you want it.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

5. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

He needs the one for the door jamb, not the vin. tag on later models such as 80 which are in the dash top.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"

6. baldbandit

Is the tag in the windshield or in the drivers side door jam? I need one with the vin tag in the drivers side door jam. It is about 2" X 2" in size and is located just below the door stricker.

BAldbandit

7. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have one but its from michigan..

Scott
    78blazer

8. baldbandit

i need one from texas to keep from having to do more paper work. Thanks though!

baldbandit

9. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I don't know what Texas laws are, but in Kansas a tampered VIN plate is enough to seize the vehicle. You may want to do some more research on your project.

[​IMG]

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i'll look tommorrow to see where it is.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

11. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    You can get busted big time(felony) if anyone catches wind of a swapped VIN. They can run the mythical frame #'s on your rig and prove they are swapped. If it looks like it never came out though and you keep your mouth shut.....whos to know. The Corvette crowd can supply you with the right 6 sided rivets for putting in VINs. Gotta love those resto boys. Do a search for corvette resto parts online....I just tossed most of my catalogs already and I dont remember who sold them.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

12. baldbandit

if you are building a vehicle, using several different vehichles, I don't see where they can say much. For example: 78 jimmy frame, 87 blazer body, 91 frt clip,400, 700r,208, 3/4ton d44 & 14ff. This would be a combo of different vehicles. Which title would you use? How would anyone know which title belonged to which part? They wouldn't! This is similar to what i'm doing, so i didn't think that there would be a problem. I'm building a truck out of parts of other trucks! I'll have to give it some thought. I don't want to do anything to get myself in trouble. I maybe better off filling for the bonded title. It is just a pain in the @ss. I don't mind the paying a little more than usuall, but it has to be driveable (needs tires, wheels, and carb rebuilt) and i have to have it appraised by 2 different state approved appraisers. Keep in mind this vehicle has no tags,inspection, or insurance. That means I'll have to either pay them to come to it, or haul it to them. Either way its a pain. I looked in the yellow pages and didn't see any automobile appraisers. It kind of crazy, because if the vehicle isn't worth more than $3000 than it only cost $50 (+90 for registration fee). Anything over 3000 cost $15 per thousand. Well i could send a few pics that would show them it is definately not worth more than $3000.

baldbandit

13. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

In KS if you have major components of 3 vehicles or more. (ie, engine veh#1, body veh#2, frame veh#3), then you have to title it as a "combination vehicle", It will have to be inspected in order to get the highway title. I'm sure it will be a pain in the butt. Look at it this way. Take the time and do it right and avoid having your K5 seized due to altered VIN and having to do it all anyway, plus paying some fines and being without your K5 during the whole thing.
    My suggestion would be to get a good body and use that as the titled vehicle and modify driveline, frame, etc. from there.
    [​IMG]

14. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

There is a VIN on the frame, so I would make sure that matches your Title/VIN plate. I think they are really strict on this in Ca and Az. No one up here in the tunda has ever looked at my frame, the numbers have probably rusted off by now anyway. I guess it all depends on your state

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok my vin is on the dash. I was going to risk the heat and sell it, but seeing as it won't work in your application I guess I'm off the hook. Dang it though, $75 would have bought my fuel pump.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

16. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

your best bet is to register it as salvaged it saves alot of hasle later on ,the paper work is less also.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

17. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

here in il the title stays with the frame. so its real hard to buy just a body at the junk yard

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Has anyone here ever seen the numbers on the frame? You would think with how thoroughly some of us go through our trucks that someone would have found them by now!
    Is this supposed to be top secret?
    This whole situation is what had me shying away from a complete body swap, then I found a complete rear half[​IMG]

So where are these mythical frame numbers? At the very least I'd like to check mine against the VIN.

Rene

[​IMG]

19. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's a felony to swap VIN numbers, and the FBI takes it VERY seriously. You may want to research the true VIN number through GM or DOT and get approved for a duplicate VIN plate. But I'd have to say don't do it, it's not worth the potential problems.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

20. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

I was told it was on the pass side frame rail right under the floorpan.....i could not find it though.... I have a stripped frame out in the snow, so if anyone thinks they know where it is. I'll go shovel it off and look.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]