Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have an older pellet stove?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I got a 15-year old pellet stove last year that I never used, and recently traded it to a friend. I have been told that it is all thermostatically controlled, so I'd have to go get a thermostat for him to hook up to it. It only has 2 wires that run to the thermostat.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of older pellet stoves and how they work?

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

All thermostats are two wire unless they also control air conditioning or a bunch of other junk. Any hardware store will have a thermostat that will work for it.

3. absolute

absolute Registered Member

whats the part your having trouble with? Let me know what you need to know!

4. mountainexplorer

I was told it's all thermostatically controlled. My friend tried bypassing it to make sure things worked, but he couldn't get the auger to turn.

Would a wall mount therostat out of a camper (RV) work? I have a 11ft pickup camper I can rip the thermostat out of so I don't have to spend money on one.

5. absolute

absolute Registered Member

the last time i bought a thermostat it was 2 years ago and i paid like $20 and it was digital. 2 wire hook up! what kind of pellet stove are we looking at? and does it have a hopper on it to feed the pellets? and for the blower is it the squirrel cage kind?

6. mountainexplorer

It's a 15 year old "Freeland Flame" pellet stove. It has a big hopper where the pellets go in. It has an exhaust fan that comes on, but I'm not sure where the fan is to blow out the heat.

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

If you short the two leads together for the thermostat the unit should attempt to function. There might be some other switches like hoper fill swithces or something else along those lines that you might need to find.

8. mountainexplorer

When he was messing with it, he did wire the two wires together, and the igniting unit started heating up and the exhaust fan started. Just the auger wouldn't move and there was no sound from a blower fan at all. I guess I'll have to just go over there and do some hands on experimenting myself.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The blower fan prob has a temp sensor that won't let it turn on till it reaches a certain temp. Try turning the auger by hand to see if it is locked up or jammed-but unplug it first!!!

10. mountainexplorer

Thats what the previous owner of it had told me, that it all had to deal with the thermostat. My friend who has it now said that the auger would turn by hand, but he must not have gotten in hot enough for it to engage on its own.