Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have any ideas for a gas "pump"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyeager535, May 28, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone have any ideas for a gas \"pump\"?

Got a small utility trailer that I'm going to mount a boat gas tank on. (already checked legality, it's 70 gallons, and is legal to do what I want here)

Problem is, how do you get the gas from the trailer to the truck? I've got the boat sending unit, but obviously the boat used a fuel pump. Fuel pumps designed for auto applications don't flow anywhere near enough GPH to fill up a thirsty K5 when it's below freezing outside.

Gravity feeding isn't an option (well, it is, but I don't like it) so that left me with two practical options: a hand cranked high volume hand pump, or pressurize the tank (slightly) with my dads on board air system, forcing the fuel out a fill hose.

The pressure idea is great, but the problem with it is that you HAVE to have a rig with a compressor there. I'd rather have something where if I'm with a group of friends someone doesn't need a compressor. The problem has been that most of the hand cranked pumps you see are made for oil.

Anyone got any ideas on where to get hand pumps, or another idea I may not have thought of? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Anyone have any ideas for a gas \"pump\"?

12v pump from like a camp trailer of motor home....i see lots of people use them when i'm up deer/elk hunting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You talking like an electric water pump??

And if so, you actually see people using them for gasoline?

I'm slightly surprised, but if the design is no different than an electric fuel pump, that might work.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah i've seen people use the electric water pump /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif me personally i wouldn't think they would last very long, but maybe they do...but an 12v electric fuel pump would work just a good, just finding one that will pump more than 1/2gal per hr might be hard

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Maybe Here A little pricey but the correct one for the job.

Or One of these a little cheaper and still can handle the job.

Or a hand pump . This one would take 8 strokes to pump a gallon. Which really isnt that bad..

John

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Or a hand pump . This one would take 8 strokes to pump a gallon.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifwith quotes like that I can't be trusted but I'll leave this one to someone else, it's just to easy..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Or a hand pump . This one would take 8 strokes to pump a gallon.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifwith quotes like that I can't be trusted but I'll leave this one to someone else, it's just to easy..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I deserved that one! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I didnt even think about it when i typed it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

100 gph fuel pump from summit. 79.95
    kind of spendy, but it will do the job well.
    shim the tank so one corner is lower than the rest upon install and plumb the line from there. then mount the tank and run your wires to a small motorcycle battery. if needed any 12 volt DC bat could run it.
    Grant