Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have any info on these headers?....... price looks a little too good

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

those don't appear to be the ones made for a k series truck, but i plan on buying a set soon...

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can get headers for $89.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i bought my heddmans for like 180 for the set...havent yet installed them yet but they look pretty nice quality..from jegs

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You can get headers for $89.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also buy rebuilt 350's for $600, but it doesn't mean that it'll get you the same quality as a new crate 350. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Check the specs on $89 headers and you'll find that they're made from the thinnest tubing that will work in their benders, thin flanges, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Many times you really do get what you pay for... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 85BlazerFan

85BlazerFan Registered Member

Re: Anyone have any info on these headers?....... price looks a little too

I bought a cheap set of headers from Summit a few years ago when I ran a new 3" exhaust. I was in a rush when I ordered them and when I installed them... didn't check the clearance with my front driveshaft. It's not TOO bad, but the collector flange ever so slightly rubs against my front driveshaft, even though I beat the poop out of it with a wooden mallet trying to gain enough clearance (maybe this is why I keep blowing collector gaskets on the passenger side /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif . Been meaning to double up on gaskets)

7. HarryH3

Do a search on Flowtech and I think you'll find that a few people have been unhappy with them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Silver84k5

thx... thats some info i was looking for....

9. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I just yanked a set of poo-poo flowtechs off of my K20. They have very thin flanges and tubing like everybody here has already mentioned. I ended up coming across a set of Hooker Competitions for $40... how could I go wrong?

But seriously... the flowtechs are kinda POS... but if you buy them at AutoZone they have a lifetime warranty, if you don't mind changing them every other year or so its all good.

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Do a search on Flowtech and I think you'll find that a few people have been unhappy with them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am testimony that the Blow Techs suck major monkey dick! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Never again! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. HarryH3

Come on Wes, don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel about 'em! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Silver84k5

thx for the responses. I figured they would suck...

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those are flowtech afterburners. MUCH better than the POS basic flowtech. They use a much thicker flange and tubing than the regular flowtech. I got them for free and decided to use them. They seal well (as long as you don't use the POS gaskets they send with them), and are plenty strong, but I don't like the clearance with the passenger's side shackle (has to cut the shackle bolt down so it did not stick out as far). I have Hooker Super Comps on my other truck and have ZERO issues with them......FWIW

14. Silver84k5

hooker super comps..... if you have it whats the summit part number? if not, do you know where i can see a picture of them? Thx.

Thats exactally what im trying to avoid, is the front shackles not clearing... but i still want full length headers, The JBA Shorties that i have now can Lick my nuts.

15. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I had a set of the afterburners on my 79. They fit well. The plugs were fairly decent to reach. They held up fine while I owned it. I think the kid I sold it to is still running them. I sold it 3yrs ago. My brother had ceramic coated Hooker comps at the same time. The coating flaked within 6 mos around the collector. The bolts and plugs were not as easy to reach w/the Hookers.

16. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of the cheep hooker headers on my 84 with a 350. Easy to reach the plugs and now clearance issues anywhere. They have surface rust all over them and its about time to change them, but they have been nothing but good!

Kris

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Check the specs on $89 headers and you'll find that they're made from the thinnest tubing that will work in their benders, thin flanges, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Many times you really do get what you pay for... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh...that's why I've got Dynomax headers. Sure, they're not Doug Thorleys or anything, but they're really nice for the money that I payed for them and I've been very happy with them for the three years or so that I've owned them. The Jet-Hot coating isn't as nice as I'd hoped and one day I'll get them re-coated, but for now, they'll work.

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Are those "flowtech's?" if they are, save your money for a good set of header's! Flowtech's are nothing but trash. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They don't fit inside the framerail's, they are paper thin, they are Junk! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I have a set of basic flowtechs with no coating. I only have 500miles on them so I really don't know about durability but they fit fine. I'm thinkin that they're gonna rust through pretty quick but I only paid $170 canadian (about 140ish US). I bought them locally so that was a relatively high price but I like to support the locals.

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Hookers are thick. Sure they may look crappy, but run them til they develop a hole. If you just swap them cuz you think they are ugly, then I'll give you $20 bucks for them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif