Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have any wiring diagrams? Need electrical guru's!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any wiring diagrams? Need electrical guru\'s!

Even though Im not home, Im still rattling my head about the AC issue-
    (6.2 92k2500 pickup)
    At first I thought it was the head unit (the electronic box) that was the cause of all the problems- I cleaned the terminals several times, even tried adding new solder on for better connection. This works for a while, but once I reach any speeds, it just shuts itself off (the compressor) and the "AC" light starts blinking.

This has lead me to believe that somehow the RPMS is invovled, but im not sure how. If I reseat the head unit, its ok again, but after a little bit of driving, it will stop working. If I unplug the batteries and reset everything, it will also work again.

This is leading me to believe some electrically activated switch, that gets constant power- is holding something open.

None of my chilton or Haynes manual specifies any switches- but again, they dont have the diagrams either- I've tried unplugging the plugs on the receiver, and also on the compressor, but neither of those reset the system.

My guess is pointing to a relay somewhere, and if anyone has any ideas where that relay is, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Anyone have any wiring diagrams? Need electrical guru\'s!

Wiring Diagrams

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ahhhhhhh... very nice. However, none of them talk about the AC system, or the system as related to a diesel. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone have any ideas on my problem?

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I did however dig up something on Fullsize chevy-

Seems maybe the pressure switch is acting up. However, it doesnt explain if disconnecting the head unit would somehow reset it- Doesnt make sense. Maybe its a Head unit safety feature?

Anyways, it would make sense- AC runs slower at idle than it does at highway RPMS- which is where it always stops working. (2000ish RPM). Maybe upon high RPM, the pressure switch cuts it off, but it somehow doesnt switch it back? Any ideas? Anyone? anyone?!?!!??! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. beatup4x

beatup4x Registered Member

Your ac is probably low on refrigirant, and when you get it up to cruising rpm it pulls the pressure below the minimum allowed which causes it to disable the ac. If you want to reset the unit open your glovebox and remove the 4 screws that hold the actual box in there. When you pull it out you will see several wires and plugs in there. To reset the unit you will need to find the flat 3 wire plug that should be wrapped in foam. Just unplug it for 45 sec or so and plug it back in. (You probably don't have to leave it unpluged but do so just to be sure there aren't any capacitors that are charged up in there.) That will reset the computer and it will work until the switch causes it to disable again.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Wow, thanks for your post. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I feel honored that you spent your first post, replying to mine!!! Welcome to CK5!

Anyways, i will try that. But if it is indeed low refridgerant, I guess I should charge it up and then reset it. Or vise versa. I'll try when I get home in a week.

(Thing is, the thing blows icy cold AC at idle without any problems, and the compressor stays engaged, so I thought "must be fine on freon".)

7. beatup4x

beatup4x Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, thanks for your post. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I feel honored that you spent your first post, replying to mine!!! Welcome to CK5!

Anyways, i will try that. But if it is indeed low refridgerant, I guess I should charge it up and then reset it. Or vise versa. I'll try when I get home in a week.

(Thing is, the thing blows icy cold AC at idle without any problems, and the compressor stays engaged, so I thought "must be fine on freon".)

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the welcome. About the freon: I had a 92 k1500 that had a slow leak and was not working when I got it. I had vacuum pulled and converted it to 134a with one of those $30 kits from walmart. Probably once a summer it would do exactly what you are talking about. I had to charge it and reset the controller to make it work again. If you have a leak I would suggest converting it to 134a since you can get cans of that for around $5 compared to $25+ for r-12. Good luck with the repair.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Previous owner already converted it to r134- Guess I'll toss in a can!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it is empty you'll probably have to get it drawn into a vacuum to get it to charge.

I'd find the leak...O rings are cheap.....even cheaper than refrigerant!