Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have contact lenses?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 16, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am getting fitted for them tomorrow.
    I am nervous, I don't like putting things in my eyes.
    Is it easy to do? anything I should watch out for?
    Thanks

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had em, didn;t like to clean em, eyes leaked blood and puss, have now switched back to cool specs, and goggles

They suck, a overcomplication of life in the name of vanity

Get some scrip goggles

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've worn contacts since I was 11. The new generation of lenses are so comfortable you'll never know they're in.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks, that's comforting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I will report back tomorrow night, hopefully I won't be blind.

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been wearing them since 16..
    No need to be nervous..but it does take time..to get them in at first. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've worn contacts since I was in 4th grade...I'm blind without them.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow, I never knew so many people on here wore glasses/contacts /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've had 'em for years. No problems, really comfortable, only downside is they tend to dry out when I ski in moderately cold temps (20 and below) - I have to tape up all the air holes on my goggles.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had 'em for years. No problems, really comfortable, only downside is they tend to dry out when I ski in moderately cold temps (20 and below) - I have to tape up all the air holes on my goggles.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's often -20 in janurary around here, should I not wear them if I will be outside a long time? Thanks for the replies everyone.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Ive been wearing them for about 14 years now.
    Cant see without them. I have extended wear type so I sleep in them also. Its a bitch in the morning when they're dry so I give them a good flooding with drops when I wake up. Here in the dry, dusty desert, they can be irritating during the summer. I wouldnt go back to glasses, in fact, my near sideness has become so bad if I wear glasses its like looking thru a fish bowl and I get sick.....on the other hand, I cant read close items with the contacts but can see very clear in the distance. If I take them out, I can see the nuts on a fly if I hold him up close /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Takes some time to get use to but seeing clearly is well worth it. Thinking about Lasick(sp) in the future when my eyes stop changing.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Same with me, been wearing them twenty years can't see sh*t without them. The new ones are much better, with more oxygen transference they don't get so crusty. And I have to agree with Skigirl, they do get almost frozen when you're going down the hill in 9 deg. weather. Not so bad over all though.

I'd like to get the Lasik surgery eventually though.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    It's often -20 in janurary around here, should I not wear them if I will be outside a long time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to those namby pamby Yanks. I wear mine 18 hours a day, summer and winter. The cold doesn't seem to affect mine very much- in fact, springtime is WAY worse for me with all the pollen floating around.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's often -20 in janurary around here, should I not wear them if I will be outside a long time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to those namby pamby Yanks. I wear mine 18 hours a day, summer and winter. The cold doesn't seem to affect mine very much- in fact, springtime is WAY worse for me with all the pollen floating around.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay great thanks!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I agree with Canmore. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have worn contacts for 14 years w/o any problems... I love them, but I would like to get the lasik surgery someday. I wear them all day, everyday, and all night almost everynight. I take them out overnight about once every 2 weeks. The only time I don't like them is swimming... cant she sh!t w/o them, cant open eyes under water with them.
    One suggestion is get a precription at the eye dr., then buy your lenses at WalMart if you have one around... they are about 30percent less than at the eye dr. office.

16. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i had glasses for 8 years, and ill NEVER go back!!! i havent had a single problem with my contacts in almost 2 yrs, and i dont even change em as often as i should. (1 year supply has lasted me about 18 months now) i didnt like putting things in my eyes either but u get over it in about a week or two. some peoples eyes, like ressurection joe's, dont take too kindly to contacts, but most people are fine with them.

17. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have worn contacts for 15 years. Love them. I wear them snowmobiling at 30 below. I have had issues with them freezing but you can feel it happening so it is no big deal, just close your eyes for 10 or 15 seconds and you are good to go. I was having issues for a while as I was keeping them in for a month at time commercial fishing. When I quit doing that, my eyes recovered. I take them out every night now, unless I am out hunting, or some place where it would just be too much trouble- maybe once or twice a month. They are worth the extra minute or two in the morning and evening. Just make sure you wear googles when you are under the truck, dirt under the contacts really hurts. Then you have to scrub your hands before you can take your contacts out. Also, ask your eye doctor about sunglasses. I found out I was a little more light sensitive with contacts.

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I had them for a while and I feel the same way RJ does. They were too much of a pain in the neck. I hated putting them in, they made my eyes crust over, would always slip around, etc. I prefer just throwing specs on my face and being done with it. That said, I don't have extremely horrible vision so I can go a lot of times without any correction; I just need them to read chalkboards, watch TV, or drive at night.

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, I've had 'em for about 5 years now. I leave mine in all week and just take them out for one night on the weekend. My girlfriend recently started wearing them also, neither one of us will wear glasses again.

20. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I use to wear glasses, tried to wear contacts several times but it never worked out. Three years ago I had lasik done, I would do it again in a heart beat. There is no telling how many sets of glasses I tore up. I hated wearing glasses they always fog up, got dirty, and mine were always sratched. People are all different it may work for you and it may not /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif