Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have cruise control with a SM465?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 26, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm just wondering if it's possible to run cruise control with these trucks and manuals... I kow I can put cruise in my 5 speed Stanza, but I've never heard of anyone doing it with a truck...

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sure. No reason you can't. My dad put it in his truck w/465.

Just get all the stuff from a truck in the wrecking yard, and swap it over.

3. PhoenixZorn

Should I use a same or older year truck for the parts for compatibility issues, since my 86 was the last year of no ECM?

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my dads 85 has a factory sm465 and cruise, but the actuator was bad. the only thing im woried about is with the cruise on if you hit the clutch for some reason :blush:

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah I'd recommend hooking up a cruise disable solenoid or something of that nature (I just kind of made that term up) similar to the one that disables cruise when you tap the brake. My new 2500 has cruise and it cuts off when I hit the clutch, but it still gives a considerable jerk. I know you don't plan on hitting the clutch on purpose but any number of things could happen so it might not hurt to rig up something like that.

6. rgood81

rgood81 Registered Member

cruise control

i have a 88 jimmy with the 465, but the cruise doesnt work how is the easiest way i can find out whats wrong with it and what can i do to fix it

7. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

same here...

my 83 jimmy diesel has cruise but it doesn't work either, i have noticed there is a green plug hanging from out of the firewall next to the fuse panel, but i don't know where it would connect to. Any idea's anybody? sorry about using this thread...

8. PhoenixZorn

NP diesel... let this be open to all manual/cruise questions...

9. dyeager535

Cruise troubleshooting

I'd look for cruise out of an 80's car, just going to be more common. You'll notice that all the stuff is pretty much identical wiring wise, parts, etc. ECM or not shouldn't matter, all the 81+ cars have ECM's,and some trucks pre-'87 did too.

For a cruise "interrupt", you could easily tie into the clutch switch I'd think. Hit the clutch, break the voltage for cruise, or however you want to run it. Depending on how you worked it, you could use it to kill the cruise, or just pause it as the clutch was depressed.

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check the wrecking yards for an "electro motor" cruise control setup.

It has all of the resume functions etc, and it would be very easy to install a clutch kill switch. Best part about it is that it does not rely on vaccum, all it needs to run is a VSS signal input, ground, and 12 volts. There were a couple of cars that were made with the cruise control switches on the column that have the resume function etc, but not the wipers or headlight switches. They bolt straight into all our older columns, and plug straight into the electro motor cruise setup's switch connector.

A VSS can be bought for about 30 - 40 bucks, and they go between the tranny and speedo cable.

As far as mounting them goes -- There were a couple of different actuating cords made for them, so you gotta find one that will fit your application, or modify your bracket to accept it.

Since I am running a TPI, the cable that was already on it (for an 89 Chevy TBI truck) popped straight in, and I already had the VSS it needs behind the dash (I have not plugged it all in yet, so I may need a 2 -> 4 pluse DRAC, depending on the signal the cruise wants. If it needs 2 pulse, I can run the signal straight to the cruise)

Oh, you also need to buy a TCC switch so that you have a switch that is normally open, unlike the typical early Chevy brake light switch, which is normally closed (aka, the TCC switch lets power through when the pedal is up, while the brake light switch lets power through when the pedal is down)

Here is a link to a wiring diagram / picture of the setup. It was made by Delphi, and you will need adobe acrobat to view the file.

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/e/cruise_elecmtr.pdf

11. dyeager535

What was the application for those? Delphi (and no "Delco" for instance) means its a fairly new piece, correct? GM was essentially done with speedometer cables after 1990 (or so I think) and was still using the vacuum/electric setup at that point.

What I don't get is that the '81(?)-89 trucks all use the same 2000PPM output for VSS...cruise or ECM, same output. In 1990 with the DRAC, according to this (DRAC info) that would have changed to 4000PPM for cruise. That's pretty confusing. Anyways, if all you were using the DRAC for was to convert a reluctor VSS signal to 2000PPM for cruise, (well, guess that would require the eletric speedo too) it would be easy to do.

12. Russell

I pulled my setup off my 89 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. I had not spent the time to look into when they switched over to the 4k pulse per mile signal for the cruise, but if what I am reading is right, then it is a 2kppm setup and the VSS installed on the back of the speedo should work just fine :)

13. dyeager535

Man, GM sure had a convoluted bin of parts in the late 80's.

I'm curious if say an '89 R/V uses that Delphi setup...never really looked at those years for cruise myself, I wasn't aware they had a cable speedo cruise setup different than the vac/electric one.

Might be a nice swap into my truck, have to work around the 2000PPM issue though. :(

14. Russell

What year is your truck?

And yeah, GM certainly had some interesting different types of parts on all their vehicles :P

The 89 has a VSS in the tranny tailhousing, which is a 2ppm setup. If you have a cable speedo, you can either get the stock style VSS for behind the speedo (I have a couple if you need one) or you can get an inline VSS.

15. dyeager535

My trucks an '86, going away from the cable/2pulse to the '90-91 DRAC setup and digital speedo. Need the DRAC outputs for the ECM and speedo. Nice that it has enough for "expansion" depending on what I need.

I'm going to have to look at the '90-91 R/V trucks and the late 80's early 90's Camaro's to see what they were doing for cruise. I know they weren't using cables, so did they stick with the vac/electric stuff...??

16. Russell

Possibly...

Why don't you buy a 2 ppm inline VSS, and use a 2 -> 4ppm DRAC?

I've got two of them if you want one.

17. dyeager535

I don't have provisions for speedo cable on the 205. Besides, I'm sick of the bouncy speedo and don't feel like messing with gears/adapters to make the speedo read right. :)

AFAIK the actual DRAC modules GM used are all the same. I believe there is something similar that was used in the trucks post-DRAC, but the cars used a 4 out buffer which is somewhat different. I've got one on my shelf, but haven't spent any time trying to figure it out because the DRAC will apparently do everything I am asking of it.