Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have CTM joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerhunter, Mar 5, 2005.

1. blazerhunter

blazerhunter Registered Member

Hey I have a dana 44 front and want to put the CTM u-joints in and was wondering if they just pop in like a regular u-joint or is there modifications needed??? And are they as tough as they say they are

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

they are tough as hell, They dont pop in as easy as stock u joints, but i dont think there are any mods you need to do to get them in.. maybe just a little cussing.....

Although buying those joints for a d44 is kinda of like polishing a turd... If your buying them because you dont want to get a 60...

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they use full circle clips instead of the 2/3 clips, this requires some grinding on the stock shafts to get them to seat. other than that they should no different than standard ujoints.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

oh yea heh forgot that part...

i heard they were kinda a bitch to get in there.. A guy on pirate posted some pics of the Ujoint just barely scraping the yoke while trying to get it in there took some Coaxing to get it in...

5. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Unless you absolutely will never have a D60, personally its a waste buying CTM's for a d44. Throw in some spicer 5-760's and carry spares. thats what I do.

7. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

A longfield joint is just a band-aided and upgraded stock u-joint. Yes it is stronger than stock, but nothing even comparing to a CTM.

The CTM joints have much more material than a 760x cross (which is what you get when you buy a longfield superjoint) and they are also made of much better material. Forgings of the 760 tend to be very unpredictable with a low QC, where was each 300M CTM will be close to exactly the same. You get what you pay for, and with buying the CTM's, you get a helluva lot more joint for your money.

The CTM are also lifetime warrantied due to ANY breakage, try to get longfield to do that for ya.

If you are going to spend the money to upgrade joints, do it once and dont ever worry about it again. I go wheeling to have fun, no to work on my junk. My purchase of CTM's was just one more thing I don't have to worry about on the trail.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

If yuo do decide to go with CTM joints, you might as well upgrade to chromo shafts becuase if not yer stock shafts will become the weakness.

9. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

that would be a birfield

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Bobby Long started out making upgraded birfields, and named the birf's and the company "Longfield". He now does U-joints as well.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have been been mostly impressed with my CTMs so far. I'm running them with Superior chromoly axles in my D60. My opinion is that you should upgrade to Warn axles with CTMs and carry your stock axles for spares. That's pretty much what I've done.

13. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i agree with the others- putting the ctms in a stock axle shaft would cause the shafts to be the weak link and youd just end up breaking the yokes on the shafts. ive heard nothing but good remarks about ctms- other then their steep price- but i dont think it would be a smart idea to put them in a stock axle shaft.

14. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I run CTM's and Superior shafts in my D44. Do a search of CTM/Superior/D44 and you will find an enormous amount of dialog with and about them.

Do not run a CTM with a stock shaft it will blow up shafts quicker than you can replace them. Beside the CTM requires a full clip, and a stock shaft would have to be modifed to accept this.

If you are going tor un CTM's you will need to run an upgraded shaft.

Rob

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

superiors + CTMS are a killer combo. Of course, you need to be daddy warbucks to afford them, but hey, they are high end!

j

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

did anyone see the super u joints on that page?
    760x ujoint thats gone thru the cryogenic freezing process to make it up to 40% stronger? 80$ a pop. for the people who dont quite need the CTM, but need a little above stock strength. i dont know if i'd pay 4x the price to have a joint be a lil stronger, but its an interesting idea.