Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have experenice with AON collector car insurance??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Aug 8, 2004.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am shopping for good insurance on my 79K5. I found a place called AON Collector Car Insurance . Their rates seem to be good but I have no idea about their service. I was hoping someone here used them. Thanks.

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

to the top for the weekday crowd.

3. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was about to ask this same question. I too am thinking about collector car insurance for my K5. Surely some of you have insurance like this, if not on your K5, some other car perhaps. Anyone?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know of people who have collector car insurance. There are usually certain stipulations though. IIRC the vehicle must be 25 years or older, must be driven less than 5000 miles a year, you must also have a second vehilce which is a daily driver, you can only drive to/from car shows/parades/special events, the vehicle must be kept inside a garage built of cement/block/wood & stucko (possibly other materials).

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You just looking for cheaper insurance for a non-daily driver, or for better reimbursement if something does happen to your truck?

6. Craig Artzner

Definitely better reimbursement. My Blazer insurance as I pay it now amounts to less than $40 per month...I'll pay a little more if I can have better coverage.

7. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can you just insure it for stated value?

I have full coverage on the Burb and expext them to pay replacement cost and they know it.

8. Craig Artzner

Not sure. I'll probably do some online quotes here soon. I just wanted to hear from someone who has collectors insurance and could tell me how they like it, it is worth it?, how much should I expect to pay monthly for a Blazer like mine (I have a perfect driving record and am 31 years old), etc.

9. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My dad has collector car insurance on his 55 chev... i wanna say its through Haggarty(sp?) and he likes it

10. Craig Artzner

Haggerty! Cool...one of the Tech guys here at Summit said they're good too...may hafta check them out.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

12. Craig Artzner

Aw heck man, my K5 will never see camping or offroad action. :D

13. rjpastor

rjpastor 1/2 ton status

Talk to your current insurance company. If it's a big one that uses agents, like State Farm, they're more likely to give you what you want in the way of coverage. You'll probably have to have an appraisal from a reputable appraiser to justify the policy limits. They'll also want to inspect it, etc. (You'll probably feel a little bit like one of those little poodles that jump through hoops at the circus before you're done, but you can get what you want. The cost shouldn't be that much - most of your premium goes for liability coverage.

14. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

I am wondering about this also. I will not qualify for collector car ins. but I need to find out about getting an appraisal and the correct amount of coverage in case it is stolen.

Has anyone had an offroad truck appraised? How will they tell how much my junk is worth? How do they value used parts? I have bill of sales for all of the purchases but I got some real good deals. The bill of sales aren't itemized though.

If anyone has info you can PM me or answer it here.

Thanks,
    Mike

15. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

hey guys just putting my 2cents in.

I just have my 72 blazer appraised by a local classic car company. They charged me $225.00 for the appraisal. Now the hard part is finding an insurance company that will cover my blazer which is not garaged kept and is used as a Sunday driver. All state just quoted me $420.00 a year for comp and liability coverage for a $25,000 72 k5.

-Scott

16. scasey28

scasey28 1/2 ton status

Also collect all receipts and any photos or any restoration you may have done. If there are any leaks or mechanical problems with the vehicle, your appeaser might want you to repair them before they appraise it. Another really BIG AND VARY IMPORTANT THING TO DONE IS show the appraiser other comparable vehicles for sale. My appraiser only quoted me $15,000; I then found a really good website that had dozens of k5's for sale ranging from $1,000 to $35,000. Because of this site, the appraisal was re-quoted for $25,000. Hope this helps. Also here is the website I used for finding comps.

http://www.vast.com/cars/used-for-sale-Chevrolet.Blazer/body-SUV/year-1967.1972

-Scott

17. Craig Artzner

Thanks for the info Scott. :) :waytogo: I've got ALL the receipts for my Blazer. The guy who had it before me even had gasoline receipts. But yeah mine's a summertime driver that stays in the garage when I'm not driving it.