Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have experience with rear window regulator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by countryguy44, Jan 3, 2006.

1. countryguy44

countryguy44 Newbie

My electric rear window on my '90 K5 has stopped working with the window rolled down about an inch (nice in the rain... at least it's not all the way down, right?). The electric motor is still working, so it's something to do with the regulator. I've been told either the regulator has gone bad, or it just needs adjustment to make the window work again. Unfortunately, the Haynes guide I checked out from my library had zero information on the electric rear window.

Does anyone know of any good articles or manuals that'll help me tackle this myself? Or just know how to briefly explain the easiest fix? I'm semi mechanically-inclined, just haven't had much experience in the window department!

Thanks for any advice!

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pop the lid on the tailgate and you should be able to see the cable - it sounds like it is broken. You can attach a drill motor to the cable (inside housing to roll up/down).

I say take it apart, inspect and let us know.

If you want to work on it roll the window all the way up with the gate down. You can then remove the gear bracket from the regulator or pop the cable off.

3. countryguy44

countryguy44 Newbie

Thanks, 2Dogs. I have popped the lid and it DOES look like the cable is sort of shredded on the end leading into the housing. So do you mean once I take apart the housing I can use a standard drill to get the window to roll up or down? I'll give it a look when I get home from work. Really appreciate your help. Thanks. -Grant

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem on my 89 blazer. You may be able to unbolt the regulator and remove the cable. Then use a Vise-grip on the end of the cable and turn it untill the window goes up. Thats how I got my window back up. The cable was rusted and the regulator couldn't turn it.

5. 2Dogs

Yes, you might need to trim the housing away from the cable so you can attach a drill motor (I used a Makita portable on slow speed). I think you can roll it up and it will stay in palce IIRC. Double check on that before you hit a bump causing it to fall.

Then worry about fixing it when the weather gets better. Although if it is just a cable you should be able to fix that in 15-20 minutes.

Edit: trim only if cable has snapped. If it has you might need to chop into it closer to the regulator to get past the rusty stuck part. But please dont cut until you KNOW that the cable is broke even though I am sure it could use a new one being in the NW.

6. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with my 90 but it was the Regulator transmission causng the problem. The motor and cable were fine and no problem with the regulator itself. If it is the Reg. transmission you can get it at IMC the dealer may be able to get the part also. But use process of elimination to isolate the problem. Good Luck

7. countryguy44

countryguy44 Newbie

I never expected such a quick response! Thanks guys for being so willing to help. I'll give this thing a shot and let you know what I find out.

8. 2Dogs

So what was the prob? Get it fixed??

9. countryguy44

countryguy44 Newbie

Hey

Hey 2Dogs (Dave!)...

Sorry for not replying sooner. It was the cable. Found a new one at a local Chevy dealer for 40 bucks. And you were right. Once I was pretty sure it was the cable, it only took me 20-30 minutes to replace. I've been helping my girlfriend move the last couple weekends and it's nice to have access to the tailgate again and have the window work like a champ. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

-Grant
    Washington State

10. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

:doah::doah::doah::doah: haha $40 ,next time ask on here in the for sale section or check out ebay. I have at least two that i could had given you.