Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have grease zerks on hubs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just curious if anyone has done this. I know it's a controversial subject with other 4x4 groups due to hydration issues. I don't spend alot of time in the water, I was Army, not Navy......Anyway, if anyone has done this, let me know specifics as to exact placement on hub, size of zerk, yadda yadda.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    "It wastes drinking time."<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

your locking hubs?are not supposed to be filled with grease .check with most of their directions,they should come off mostly clean.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

A zerk to grease the wheel bearings?I dont see why ya couldnt.You could place the fitting between the inner and outer races I guess.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Other than you'd never get the rim over the hub unless the hole was bigger in it or something, and the fact that the whole cavity in the hub would fill with grease when you pumped the grease gun. Oh yeah, and you could blow out the seal in the back of the hub by pumping in too much grease. After all that bad stuff happened, you wouldn't have new grease in your wheel bearings anyway.

Just do it the old fashioned way--but get a bearing packer, they work very, very well.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Trailer axles basically do this with the "bearing buddy" which goes on the very end where our locking hubs have to ride. You do have to be careful about the rear seal, we sometimes drill a little hole in them, assuming it'll let some water in but relieve the pressure of the grease trying to get out too. They're also spring loaded so that the grease pressure supposedly drives the cap out instead of pressing out the seal.
    For a 4x4, I think you're best bet is to just maintain everything more if you're in the water. You might be able to O-ring the stub axle into the spindle to keep the water from following the stub into the wheel bearings and locking hub, and that's about all you can do past keeping the seals you have in good condition.
    I've talked to more than a few former mudologists that avoid mud because they got tired of tearing the front axle apart every weekend when they were wet all the time. I can sympathize....

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never really had a problem with water in mine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles