Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have or know where to get the automatic drop & retract side steps ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jul 24, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I saw a set in a parking lot and I want them for my burb, but I have no idea where to get them, or the brand. They drop when the door opens and retract underneath when it closes /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

They are Kodiak Sidewinders. You can get them from just about any auto parts store. I installed a set on a buddies K5, they looked and worked nice, but the motors hung down lower than the frame rail....not a good thing in my opinion.

3. uglychevyZZ4

i looked through all the catalogs at my store and didnt see them, I know 4wpw can get em' but they told me they were more than everyone else, and i should look around, but no luck at napa, or bigwheel either. Ill look on ebay now that i have a name. The burb is just too tall to spend ANOTHER 6 months lifting the kids into /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

5. uglychevyZZ4

ouch.. $279.00 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. uglychevyZZ4

each... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I wonder if they make those with longer arms. Something to drop down further /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Summit has them for $229ea.

Also in their catalog they show some steps by GoRhino that are kinda like stirups, but they are spring loaded so that they move up and down 3". Here's a link to Summit's listing. Unfortunately there are no pictures though.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

anyone with a couple pieces of tubing can make them drop farther. My buddy had them on his 90 burban. he has 13" of lift on it with 42's and of coarse he was made of money so all 4 doors got them,LOL

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What year K5 do you have? If I remember correctly. I tried to get them for my blazer '72 and my buddies truck '98. The problem was there vehicle specific, no big deal to me I was just goung to cut a hole out of the rocker box and mount them up out of the way BUT, they wouldnt work (supposedly) on the '98 because it has a body lift and theu mount to the body and frame, and his body isnt inline with the frame like stock. So they didnt work for his truck and I didnt get them because the frame and outside of the body are differrent widths then the '98, geeze it was all complicated.

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder if they make those with longer arms. Something to drop down further /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they make 8" and 12" arms.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What year K5 do you have? If I remember correctly. I tried to get them for my blazer '72 and my buddies truck '98. The problem was there vehicle specific, no big deal to me I was just goung to cut a hole out of the rocker box and mount them up out of the way BUT, they wouldnt work (supposedly) on the '98 because it has a body lift and theu mount to the body and frame, and his body isnt inline with the frame like stock. So they didnt work for his truck and I didnt get them because the frame and outside of the body are differrent widths then the '98, geeze it was all complicated.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they make 8" and 12" arms.

[/ QUOTE ] they come w/ the kit ??? i might get some if they drop down good and there out of the way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone with a couple pieces of tubing can make them drop farther. My buddy had them on his 90 burban. he has 13" of lift on it with 42's and of coarse he was made of money so all 4 doors got them,LOL

[/ QUOTE ] I wonder if it " voids " the warrantee. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif im sure by doing that it creates more stress on something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

they aren't made for this body style just 88 and up IFS rigs, he made them fit as did Jeff for the K5.

15. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

whats crazy is that to go from the 8" leg to the 12" leg is like another $150-$200 (depending on where you get them) per step.

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone have or know where to get the automatic drop & retract side step

I think they most be marketing to the H2 crowd /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. uglychevyZZ4

They said on the phone they had a model for 88 and below also, Hmm... I hope theyre right, I want a set to make it easier on my wifes knee getting in without having those lame hoops.

18. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

19. k-5 jimmy fan

k-5 jimmy fan Registered Member

Don't know the brand (too damn hot to crawl beneath) but our old 86 Tioga class C MH has one for the coach door.

It works off the engine vacuum, when you open the door (solenoid valve) or stop the engine it extends, retracts when engine is started and door is closed. The motor that retracts & keeps step up is just a simple vacuum device quite similar to the one for the cruise control. It is very light weight and takes up little room beneath frame. Step is spring loaded to extend & lock past center of the pivot device, one old spring broke a few years ago, I just installed a screen door spring and it works fine.

Some of you guys are rather ingenious, I bet you all could come up with something similar in short order.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think they most be marketing to the H2 crowd /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure? The were out before H2s, also, H2s arent that big. Think about it, there targeting the big truck crowd, like HMMM lets think, OH Stupuid Dutys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif