Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have pics of BB frame stands?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Jun 1, 2006.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hey everyone, I recently swapped in a 454 into the K5, but have run into a potential problem. when shopping around for headers, every set I've found listed for it..they all say you must use big block frame stands. I'm leaning towards a set of doug's tri-y's. has anyone run into any problem running these, or any other headers, on a big block in a K6, without using the stands? I'm going to be making a trip to some junkyards anyway...so I figured while I'm there...I'll see if maybe I can get lucky, and find a set of them, and go ahead and pick them up, just in case. but I have no idea what they look like, so I was hoping someone might have a pic of them, so I'll know what to look for. can anyone help me out with that? I'd really appreciate it.

and on a side note...summit has three different listings for the tri-y's, with slightly different part numbers, and different prices. but all three descriptions are exactly the same, word for word. they're all coated, same size and everything. anyone happen to know what the difference is in these, other than price? thanks in advance.

John

2. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

assuming this is for the 79? I have a 78 that has a 454 in it with the stock towers. I run shorty chevelle headers by hedman. I dont have any issues with them at all.

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

I have this same issue with mine- 76 blazer frame the headers hit the towers- hmm- Jess

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

yes, it is a '79. I had a set of longtube headers, unknown brand, and I couldn't even bolt them on because they hit the frame, right at the motor mounts. I don't know if the frame stands would solve this, or if it was an issue with the headers themselves...but I'm gonna get new ones anyway, due to other issues, as well as...just wanting a new set of good headers. I just don't wanna go spend $500+ on a new set, and have the same problem.

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

6. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

one more question...do the frame stands bolt on, or are they welded on?

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i must of got lucky with mine.
    i have a Gen 6 454 with Dynomax full length headers for the K series.
    they dont even come close to hitting.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i think you are talking about motor mounts. there is a specific mount set for a big block in the c/k trucks. but thay are kind of rare . but the best part is all the blocks small or big will use the small mounts for small block. this might be the thing thay are wanting to know.

i have never run in to this my self but i have seen lots of swaped in motors with no real problems.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have a P/N or pics of how close they come to the tranny pan and/or leaf spring shackles?? TIA

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Summit part number.
    HED-68610

[​IMG]
    I think thats the lowest hanging side.

11. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

I used sb motor mounts for the 454 in my 79 K5, and Hedman Hedders (part # 69110) with no problems at all.