Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have plans for an NV4500?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I do, and out of the blue I get an email from "High-impact.net". I wondered for a while how they got my email addy, then after visiting their site I recall emailing and asking about their beadloacks at one time.

Anyways they are now marketing complete kits for swapping in a NV4500 into our older Chev's. They also have kits for Ford and Dodge too.

Not exactly cheap, but then again anything to do with the NV4500 is usually pricey and the price they have listed for the tranny itself is competitive.

Check it out:

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500_diesel.htm

One thing that did catch my eye was the availability of the 8 bolt 10 spline 205 adaptor for 82-85 one tons. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

that my final plan but i still have to decide on a diesel and get it first. there was a place down in carencro , la (new orleans area)that had one(nv4500) for 850.00 probably where ill go when i get around to it in 6 or 8 months. i think that was on carparts.com iirc what was so bad about the nv3500 anyway??? they had those also but everyone wants the other b/c its got the low first. any other difference?

69k5

3. tRustyK5

I think brute strength was the issue with those. For an easy OD manual you could also use the common Getrag found in all the IFS trucks. Weak tranny and no granny low first gear though...

If I'm going to go through all the trouble of swapping in a 5 speed I want the NV4500.

Rene

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

There is one FOR SALE over on Pirate. It's in Illinois

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think brute strength was the issue with those. For an easy OD manual you could also use the common Getrag found in all the IFS trucks. Weak tranny and no granny low first gear though...

If I'm going to go through all the trouble of swapping in a 5 speed I want the NV4500.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not a NV5600 or is it not feasable, or just super overkill and not worth the extra cost?
    The reason I ask is that it seems to be the Manual OD tranny of choice for high torque applications from the factory.

7. Leadfoot

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not a NV5600 or is it not feasable, or just super overkill and not worth the extra cost?
    The reason I ask is that it seems to be the Manual OD tranny of choice for high torque applications from the factory.

8. tRustyK5

I think in 10 years that may be a grea tranny swap. For now availability, or rather the lack of availability makes that an expensive swap...

The NV4500 has come down in price the last couple of years.

Just having overdrive will be a good thing, not losing granny low is also a good thing.

The wide splits between gears I'm already used to. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

9. Leadfoot

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I figured cost and availability was the MOST limiting factors, but wasn't sure if there was more (than a NV4500 swap) involved in finding ways to mount and/or adapt transfer cases to the NV5600......

With truck pulling, if I ever get rid of the Auto, I will be considering the heaviest Duty manual (with OD) I can find and make work with modest modifications. So far finding either a 4500 or 5600 has proven $$$ and quite a drive to get them...Oh well.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont think it was really THAT expensive to do the swap. And its definetly worth it.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am looking for an 89-91 blazer with a shot 6.2. I will build a pumped 6.5 for it and dump the th700 for an nv4500 if it isn't a too involved swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I think it was really worth it for me. I put a reman 4500 in the '87 K5 1995. And another in 1998. With over 300 000 mi on the K5, it's the best upgrade I have made. PM me for the parts list from the 1995 install w/GM numbers.

BTW, DO NOT buy *anything* from a co. named "Performance Gear" run by a guy named Wayne. They advertised in Four Wheeler in late 1990s.

The Dodge gas version can be converted to Chevy. This gets you the synchro in reverse. I bought a basket case Cummins version (appeared to have blocked oil feed to front main) to rebuild, and convert to GM, but learned that it had too many differences (such as a 29 spline output) to deal with.

Another guy had one for sale cheap, but when I pulled the PTO cover, it had been run on ordinary 90 wt gear lube. I decided it was too far gone, and not rebuildable at reasonable cost. 4500 must run syn gear lube.

I have run Red Line MT90, Castrol SynTorque (aka GM), and Amsoil 2000. Amsoil works best for me and use same lube in 205 and GV OD.

13. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The Dodge NV4500 has the same front bolt pattern as the 96-99 Chevy trannies. But the Dodges do have bigger inpit shafts, and as stated abouve the output is different on the Dodge 4WD HD trannie.
    Supposedly the current GM NV4500 models now offer a syncro, and this reverse gear can be added to earlier GM trannies as an option.
    Its fine to run MTF or ATF in them, after its rebuilt, I run MTF.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I believe its only the Cummins and V10 that use the large input/output shaft. The 5.9L gasser is supposed to have the "normal" input shaft and smaller (23-spline?) output shaft.

15. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

one of the changes to the Dodge gas version is the front bearing retainer. It has to fit the bore in the GM bellhousing.