Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have portal axles on they'r rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Oct 9, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

anyone have portal axles on they\'r rig?

These thing are kindof cool. Dont know how strong they are but the ground clearance would be awsome.

Nick

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: anyone have portal axles on they\'r rig?

There are a couple of K5s around that have them, but I'm not sure if the owners are CK5ers. They are super strong and somewhat difficult to make work on a K5, mainly because the common ones, the Unimogs, used a torque tube in the original application. The Volvo ones are apparantly easier to make work.

3. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

the volvo one ae where I got the idea from. It was in some mag that I read.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

portals are sweet.. they also cost MAD $ for the average guy to run. Its not so much that they axles cost a fortune.. but that parts + 4-link front and rear + coils or coilovers + some kinda anti-wrap pro etc etc etc all start to add up to some serious $.

j

5. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of putting Unimog 404 portals in my 84 chev Truck. If you look at the big picture Portals are really not that expensive. You can get a Front steer axle and a nonsteer rear axle with 8lug hubs with Disk brakes and the Pinion conversions for around $4400 depending on how good a deal you can get on brakes. Sounds like alot but you get a lot including: Front and rear Selectable lockers, High pinion center sections, strength that surpasses 2&1/2ton axles, Disk brakes front&rear, the frontend turns sharper then most front ends, and you also get around 4.5inches more clearance because of the portals.
    If you compare that to what I had; Stock military 60 with Trac lock, and a stock military 14 bolt with a detroit. To upgrade these axles with an ARB(around $1300 installed) in the front, 35 spline outers with hubs(around $370), a disk brake kit for the rear(around $600, unless you can make your own), and if you wanted a selectable locker for the rear I think thats around 8 or $900. So that is around $3000 in upgrades to get you kinda close to the Unimogs. And that doesnt include the initial cost of the 60 and 14 bolt.($3200 from boyce equipment) But you dont get near the strength, near the clearance, cant turn as sharp, and you could also put rear steer in for only $350(front axle is $1100,and the rear is $750)
    You also dont have to have coils on the Unimogs, leafsprings with a good traction bar will be good enough.
    Its definatley more than finding a 1 ton truck and swapping the axles in, but once you start the upgrades the prices can get high on those too.

6. Re: anyone have portal axles on they\'r rig?

See them here.
    The "HULK"