Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone have problems with their interior door handles?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by COCHEV, Apr 26, 2005.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

my pass. side door is next to impossible to open from the inside. the leaver has too be pulled back all the way and then some to get the latch to release. opens fine with the outside lever though. then my driver's side door started doing it. then yesterday a co-worker got in my truck to move it and ended up breaking lever trying to get out. so 42 bucks later i got a new lever from GM and put it in. the lock mechanism looks fine as did all the lever arms and bushings. :confused: even the old broken latch looked ok. :confused: :confused: it seems to open better now but not sure why. is this common thing for these model years (88-99)?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Don't those arms have little bends in them like all others? Could it be possible that just over time and lots of use that the bends have stretched out?

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I was out the beach with the g/f, and mine broke off without me even trying. It just snapped. She never let me live that one down.....

Anyway, I'm lazy and just left it for about a month, and took it to my tranny guy for some work, and he got pissed and fixed it while he had it. So it fixed itself for me. Gotta love a GM. :D

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

That is an incredibly common problem for these trucks. After breaking 3 stock ones, my friend finally made a handle out of 1 x 1/8" steel. Works like a charm

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have the same prob. on my 99 sub. I just got. Will try to figure it out next weekend. I will prob. just bend the rod a bit to make it shorter. I'll post up when I figure it out.

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so far the new handle is working well. the rods and plasic bushings looked fine. the rods have factory bend in them and they run through plastic guides. everything looked fine so i didn't mess with em. must be play in the chinsy lever itself and where it rotates. the whole handle/ lever is set in a plastic mounting so not the best design in my opinion. i've had late 60s trucks with perfect working door latches.

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

humm my 00 s10 does the same thing, my gf always has a hard time opening her door, now you all gave me some ideas to fix it

8. ShitownK5er

ShitownK5er 1/2 ton status

Yeah on my 97 k2500 my drivers side broke once and the pass side twice and theyve come apart without braking a bunch of times and needed to be snapped back on

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Fixed my door that wouldn't open from inside.

Well, I had planned on fixing the door this weekend, and then as luck would have it Friday night the handle broke off. I took the door panel off, and found that the latch, the part that grabs the striker, wasn't working properly. I picked up a new latch and handle at the dealer and put them in. The door works like new now. I was BS'ing with the parts guy and he said to check the hinge bushings. When they go bad and the door droops a bit when open, once you close the door it bends some of the linkages inside the latch and over time it decomes hard to open and thats when the handle starts to get abused more and then it breaks. I checked my hinge bushings when I was done with the job, and sure enough they were worn a little and I could barely tell the door was drooping. So it's off to the body shop soon to get the pins and bushings replaced.
    My truck is a '99 GMC Suburban 2500
    The part numbers I used were:
    Latch - 16631627 List price 67.26
    Handle for tan(neutral) interior - 15708051 List Price 34.52
    I ended up getting both of these for $58 after getting friendly with the parts guy! So I really can't complain about having to replace both parts.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it should be clarified, the 95-99 trucks are NOTORIOUS for this. Never seen it happen to an 88-94.

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Hhhmmmm! I wonder what is different between those years.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

completely different interior and door handle.

I broke a handle right off on my 97 and my 95, a buddy who works at a dealership said its very common on those years. He got to be a pro at whipping the work out cause he had so many come in. I got to be a pro at opening my door from inside with the outside door handle. It became a habit I still do sometimes :D

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well I guess I'll join this party. I have to open My 96 from the outside as well I call it the old reach around :grin: I have pulled apart 3 doors now only to find out that they also had broken handels. Cheap ass pot metal handels :mad:

14. leakinposchevy1988

leakinposchevy1988 Newbie

the handle

man my door is so off i had to reshim, and lift with a jack. oh oh and the damn door pull on the passanger side just pulled off. i need help mith brakes man you know anyone?
    i have to get my son tonight and this **** is all jacked
    jeff