Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have some pics of family cages????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to start building a cage for my Jimmy. I already have the factory bar and am going to build off of that, with my main goal something to protect the kids in the back seat. Anyone have pics of a good, simple family style cage?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

PM "Polaris"

Or search for her username and go to the website linked in her "home." There should be pictures of her cage.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Search for family cages it was dicussed awhile back before Steve built his /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There were a bunch of pics.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm no engineer, but isn't that overkill?

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm no engineer

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a pic of your family cage?

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you've never seen me drive. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

its not overkill, its a safety factor.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a cage, if you dont build it overkill then your next roll may kill you, or worse, your family. If I lost another member of my family in a car accident and it was due to me skimping on a cage, i know i couldnt live with myself.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I lost another member of my family in a car accident and it was due to me skimping on a cage, i know i couldnt live with myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Seriously, yes that's why I had it built that way. The truck is for skiing and longer trips, so I would expect that rollovers would be at a fairly high speed.

What doesn't show in the pic is that the rear legs are also gussetted to the hoop, and more gussetts are to be added in front. There are spans on the floor in the bed to attach the rear seat, and the front seats are mounted to the cage as well.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm no engineer

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a pic of your family cage?

[/ QUOTE ]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hey Dan, take some pics of my old/your new cage!!! I'll have a new one in a month or so and will post some pics then. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Here you are sir (sorry for all the junk in the truck, we had just finished welding it in):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could prolly find more if I really wanted to... but I don't! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Dan

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

14. one ton burb

one ton burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]i love the look of chopped top with the cage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Even got a pic of the family and everything! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

here is one I like with the feeds and all

[​IMG]

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The jumping down my throat was unnecessary for me asking a question. I simply haven't seen that much bracing on the common cage around here. I intend on installing one sometime this fall if I can get the rest of my stuff together soon enough, obviously research on the design ahead of time would be a good idea in my opinion.

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Tim, I did a fair bit of research on cages too before I made a decision. A lot of the ones you see (at least the ones I've seen guys do here) are designed to protect against damage from rollover during rock crawling. Since my truck isn't designed to crawl, but for driving in blizzard conditions I wanted protection from effects of higher speeds and longer rolls. So mine is more extensive.

The most important thing i learned about cage design is that triangulation is the way to a strong cage. We triangulated everything that would help dissipate collision forces the right way without making the cage itself too annoying. We also compensated for not having V or A bracing at the B piller (right behind the driver's seat) as that bracing was going to be a total PITA for how I use the truck.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I understand now, you're expecting more high speed rollovers, and designed it that way.

I was thinking you were more into crawling like most of the site, forgive me for assuming.

The only roll I've ever been in, I flopped my truck on its side. Besides cosmetic damage, it scared the crap out of me almost to the point where even hitting mild stuff makes me nervous at this point, as if I'd rolled onto my roof, or possibly onto the other side after the roof, I would have rolled down into a pretty steep ravine and probably wouldn't be alive here to type this nor would the two occupants next to me.

Honestly, I never considered how important a cage was until that day. Overkill or not, I'm going to build/buy something, because I really don't want to ever be in that position again. It took me an honest 10 minutes after climbing out the passenger window of my truck and seeing where I was exactly, to realize just how far down that hill I'd have rolled if God wasn't with me that day.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well then, you're more aware of the need than I.

My biggest decision point was whether or not to have V or A bracing behind the driver's seat, and I trusted the builder's advice that with all the other stuff we did that bracing wouldn't be needed.

That said, the next issue I haven't addressed is that I don't want to drive hundreds of miles with a 5 point harness and a helmet. In a sideways rollover, your head pretty typically bashes sideways into the window and I haven't solved how I'll protect against that kind of head trauma. I have considered side curtain airbags. But then I think I'm overthinking /overbuilding to the point of being silly. As you say tho, actually being in a roll gave you a good idea of what could really happen.

The other debate you'll run into is whether or not to attach the cage to the frame. I opted not to, because I didn't want the frame stresses to impact the cage. Having the cage separate from the frame won't negatively impact safety. I'm not sure what, if any, added safety factor there is in tying the cage to the frame. However, keep in mind that you'll need your seats and safety belts attached to the cage, not the body. The cage itself is the safety unit. Anyway, that's the conclusions I came to. Others will have different opinions. I would suggest taking advice from guys who have a lot of experience in the area before making your design decisions.