Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have T-mobile that can do me a favor?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by pvfjr, Nov 7, 2006.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Pretty please???? :D

Here's the thing. I have cingular, and my aging cell phone sucks, and has a plethora of problems. A buddy of mine just canceled his T-mobile service, and gave me his old phone. This new phone of mine is a PEBL, and is quite nice compared to what I am using currently.

The problem lies in the fact that this PEBL is locked to t-mobile service. I need a "subsidy code" in order to unlock it. When a service provider locks a phone, they take that phone's unique IMEI (kinda like a VIN) and they make a subsidy code based on it. Only that specific subsidy code will unlock a phone and allow it to be used on another network. T-Mobile is the only place for me to get said code, but I'm told they won't give it to a Cingular customer. They might give it to a T-mobile customer in good standing however.

What I need is...
    For someone to call T-mobile and tell them that they are going to Europe for a while and taking your cell phone. You are going to be buying local SIM cards so you can use your phone while in Europe, so you need the subsidy code for your IMEI. You have a PEBL U6 whose IMEI is: 358920000737590.
    I *think* the subsidy code will be about eight digits, but I'm not sure.

More pleading to add to my case, skip it if you're already convinced...
    I really hate how service providers lock cell phones just to make it inconvenient for users to switch service. It should be illegal if you ask me. Back in the day (a couple years ago in the wireless world) you could just hook your phone up to your computer and run a free program to unlock it. Now for this phone it involves disassembly, grinding/cutting/soldering, applying voltages and jumpers to test points, etc; all in conjunction with more complicated program crap. I would go to these lengths, but I haven't found the programs or the instructions yet.

The sob story...
    It might sound dishonest to you, but hey, I'm trying to save money. I just got out of the AF (that's right, help a vet :p: ) and haven't found that perfect job yet. My cell phone is my primary means to communicate with family/friends and possible emloyers, and my current one is very unreliable. Besides, con'ing them into coughing up a subsidy code could be "your little way of sticking it to the man." :D

A little overboard I know, but what else am I gonna do right now?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ummm...buy a plan for a year or two and get a free phone...or buy a cheap new one...

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well I'm still under contract, I already have a free new phone, and your bolded words don't really work for me. You're missing the point. And there's no such thing as a cheap new phone. Thanks for reading though, sorry you had to go through that. :D

4. mikey_d05

Alright, I'm convinced. I think it's bull**** that you can only use certain phones with certain services. I'm not a big fan of my LG but Midwest really doesn't offer anything I want and every other service sucks balls in my area.

If I was a T-Mobile customer, I'd help ya out.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for understanding. As long as I'm not in it alone. Someone ought to put an end to this cell phone locking business. Oh yeah, and thanks for reminding me about Hollow, I forgot about that.

6. mikey_d05

Huh?

EDIT: Nevermind, good tune.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Anyone? :whistle:

8. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I might be convinced to do this. Drop me a PM when you are back online and I ought to be able to help you.

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

PAD? :o

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

make sure you pebel suppors 870
    t-mobile uses 950 1800 1900, just make sure that phone supports 870 or it wont work with cingular

11. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

if you take out the sim card out of your cingular phone it should go into the t-mobile one.

i just did this with my daughters phone. she has boost moble and i have nextel. gave her my old phone and used her sim card and it works perfect.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've checked online, and even though Cingular doesn't offer the pebl, it can work with their service once unlocked. It must do 870 then I guess.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Not so in this case. Did you read my post?

14. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

yes read your post. i don't know much about the other phones. sorry if it was of no help.

15. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well from the sound of it you guys lucked out, and boost mobile didn't lock that phone. Had you been unlucky like me, you would have had to unlock the phone before it would accept the new sim card. Every phone unlocks in a different manner, and this pebl seems to be one of the hardest to unlock. So I'm stuck using this piece of crap for the time being. :crazy:

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I would search google for cell phone nerd forums or something......

17. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

check out ebay for an unlocking program. If tmobile can give you teh code, theres a program floating around that will generate it too. That is IF it can be unlocked w/o a data cable.

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I have, and this is what I came up with. It's either the subsidy code, or a bunch of cutting and jumping test points and what not.

19. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

just did this with my gf's new cell phone, she bought a samsung sgh-302t or something like that, that is a t-moblie phone, did some searching and there is a big forum with most the codes on it if i find a link i'll let you know, i found it through google, but they didn't have hers on it so she just went on ebay and paid .99 cents and a guy emailed it to her... she unlocked it and it worked just fine with cingular.

search for forums on google, if no luck dish out the buck to ebay.

she proceeded to mess around with the options and fry her sim card, cingular said this time they'll send her a new one for free but after that it'll be 50 bucks for a new one, just don't play with stuff you don't know anything about...

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well I've looked at a few of those sites you speak of, and my particular IMEI is not available. So no such luck. Oh, and don't ever waste $50 on a sim card from Cingular, you can usually pick one up off ebay for $5 or so.