Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have the oversize gas tank in their K5?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Jun 23, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I've got an oversized gas tank in my 72. The previous owner claimed it was a 37 gallon, but I haven't been able to get over 31 gallons in it at anytime (i haven't completely found empty yet though). I noticed some oversized tanks listed in JC Whitney and I assume it is the same type. My problem is that it leaks from the sending unit flange. Do you think the gasket would be the same as the original or not?

Just prior to smoking my alt wire on the trail, I had to do field surgery on the fuel line. After that was fixed, I noticed gas coming out of the top at the sending unit. I should've called it quits right then.....

2. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

I've got an oversize tank (about 36 gal.) as well, but I don't think its the one ouy of JC Whitney since theirs has straps and mine has a piece of angle iron welded on each side which bolts to the frame. Anyway I replaced my sending unit with a universal from Pep Boys and it came with a cork gasket. I doubt a stock gasket will work but you could buy some cork and make your own.

Good luck.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

31 should be the second gen tank, I have one that i want to hang so if you drop it get some pics on how they re-did the filler neck...the second gen point to the pass side of the truck so they had to mod it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

Ya'll could just do what I did. I Tool box tank combo made to put behind the back seat with a stainless steel tie rail around it to hold my cooler down. It rocks now I have a total of 50 gal of gas on board and a place to lock up my gear. Plus it looks pretty cool.

Dave Jr. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif