Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have this problem? - Update with my solution!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My truck has done this a few time before, but it has really gotten annoying. In the morning after a good frost or a very cold morning, it seems that my gas pedal sticks. I go to pump the gas before starting it and the pedal doesn't come back up. :eek1:

I run the stock gas pedal setup with original pedal/cable and its connected to a Holley 600cfm carb. I can somewhat loosen the stickyness by spraying into the cable with penetrating oil and working the throttle linkage by hand. The gas pedal will return but it takes a second for it to come back up and will tend to stick just above idle. By the time the engine is at running temp the gas works perfectly with an insant return, like the way its supposed to work on anyother day. I already have 2 throttle return springs on it, do I have to add another? Also maybe I just need a new throttle cable?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like you've got some water in the cable sleeve, which is freezing overnight making the cable sticky. That's why the problem stops once the engine bay is warm- the ice melts allowing the cable to travel freely.

Keep pouring the WD-40 to it. If it doesn't go away, you're gonna need to replace it, because eventually the cable will get rusty and get really hard to move.

3. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Or just rust away completely until you have no throttle.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

been there...

My 74 K20 did similar things in cold weather--it would feel like the gas pedal was frozen at idle,then as you pressed harder,it would suddenly break free,and usually the truck lurched forward--very frustrating and dangerous,to drive in traffic or in snowy conditions!...I tried a junkyard throttle cable,it did the same thing..

I found out the "block" on the inside firewall that holds the pedal linkage to the firewall was bone dry,and it "creaked" every time I opened the throttle..that is where the binding was occouring..I ubolted the 3 bolts,and lubed it up with silicone grease,like you'd use under an HEI module--so it wouldn't be too thick,and possibly make things worse!..

It completely eliminated my "stiff" pedal and the sudden acceleration problem,but I had to take it apart and re-grease it yearly..or spray it with WD-40,etc..I eventually replaced the whole thing that bolts to the firewall with another used one I got from a boneyard,and never had a problem again..my old one was all hogged out and sloppy...

I've had carbs with tight throttle bushings in cold weather that loosened up after warming up too,made my gas pedal stick and not return all the way to idle...seems once you change to an aftermarket carb,and change the way the throttle cable hooks up,and where return springs go,is when the troubles start,IMO...remember the detent cable (if you had a TH350,Chevy 305 doesn't ) can do the same thing as a sticky throttle cable..adding more return springs might seem like an easy fix,but that can egg out the throttle shaft bushings pretty quick..:crazy:

5. Chevy305

I didn't even think of the "block" on the inside of the truck. Thanks! I'll investagate that tonight.

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Depending how cold it gets there, I have had WD-40 freeze a number of times. Perhaps you can use a graphite type of lube or something else that is more cold resistent?

7. Chevy305

Well I doubt that I'd see anything colder than 0*F here. And You being in Alaska, I'm more than sure that is a very normal winter tempurature. The Massachusetts average in winter is about 20-35 or so. But I haven't had this happen yet to me again so who knows... :dunno:

8. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

for the cable you can use cable lube for quads it dosen't freeze to easy, and it works better the the industrial stuff. also i have had good luck with the food grade spray silicone, it would work well for the pedal block.

9. Chevy305

Update!

So the cable did start to freeze up again... :mad:

This was making the truck extremely hard to drive, so I got annoyed and decided to go to Autozone and buy a new throttle cable for a 85 Chevy K10 with a 4bbl 305. Thankfully they had 1 in stock!

So I installed it and found out that is was actually shorter than the cable that was in there, but that was a good thing because the old cable was looped around, and I did notice this before but thought nothing of it. So I installed the cable on Friday at 5*F outside in the dark. But about 30 mins of swearing to the old cable I got it out and the new one in. I must say that it works BEAUTIFULLY! It feels like I'm driving a new car! The gas is so easy to push down, but not too easy. It will take some getting used to though.

So if your gas pedal is getting hard to press down, I highly recomend replacing it! :D

EDIT: If anyone want the part number at Autozone, I can get you that, I just need to find the bag it was in...

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry I had missed this one..

I'll bet bottom dollar it had worn itself a groove in the sheath... very common issue... the cold was just bringing the symptoms on quicker...

You just reminded me, I really need to replace mine...

11. Chevy305

Do you want the AutoZone part number? Or maybe its different for a TBI :dunno:

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nah, I'm good man, thanks!!!