Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have this Summit Fuel Cell?? I'm pissed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Dec 18, 2005.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man this dang poly summit fuel cell sit outside one night in the blazer and the top has drooped in so when I went outside thie morning there was a puddle of water on it covering the top of the fuel fill since it is in the center. Wouldn't doubt the seals leaked and let water in there.

Anyone have a clue on what I should do besides thrash it and get a aluminum one?? Kinda unhappy over this one since it really hasn't even got to be used yet.

fuelcell.JPG

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

summit cells are usually either jaz or rci brands repackaged for summit. they do sell a fast fill 45 degree aluminum neck that has a cap similar to a stock type one. i thought about going with one of those even though i do have an aluminum cell:dunno:

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

every fuel cell ive seen like that.. has caved in on the top creating a bowl... You shoulda just bought the 20 gallon aluminum one...

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

both of mine did the same thing but i havent had a problem with water in the fuel

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

well..(no pun intended)..

All the fuel cells I've seen are set up like that--so are many stock sending units on gas tanks..remember--if gas isn't leaking OUT of those seals,water cant get IN either..but I agree,it is distressing to see a puddle of water sitting on top of your gas tank..not something I'd want to see either!..

I think GM designed their stock tanks like that so they can rot out the fuel lines at the sender faster..:mad:

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My bud Chris has the same fuel cell and it does this also. Of course we don't get much percipitation here in the desert, but ya it does look kind of silly.

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Something I just thought about is maybe the vent on the cap is not open to allow the cell to breathe causing it to shrink in the cold air. Fuel will condense in the cold and expand in the heat (which I am sure you already know). I would imagine in the summer it would do the opposite.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

youd think so... but it doesnt... i looked in a guys jeep while we were filling at the gas station... going to sandlake in the summer time.. And his cell was all concave on the top... its wierd.. thats one of the reason i didnt go with the plastic one

9. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Maybe try something like this with some spacers between the straps and the plate.

IMGP0440.JPG

10. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

the 16 gallon summit one i got is a big p.o.s. took about three months and it concaved on the top, sender quit working and it leaks out the a.n .fittings. i will be getting a polished aluminum one next.

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

No that is something I just might try. Thanks

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe..

My friend had the same fuel cell in his 62 Nova's trunk..he didn't like the exposed wires and hose right on top,(feared they would get damaged from putting stuff in the trunk,like lawn chairs he'd take to car shows)..

So he started looking for something to use as a "cap" to cover it up..he tried a plastic thing they put behind speakers when mounting them in doors,to keep water off them..it worked pretty good,he had to cut a slot in it for the fuel line to poke thru..used 2 of the screws on the ring around the sender to hold it on..:crazy:

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

my an fittings also leaked. its an easy fix. you take a 1" wrench and stuf it inside the take, find the back of the fitting with the wrench, now tigheten from the outside that same 1" fitting. suddenly the leak stops:rolleyes:

14. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

i have tightend both of them twice and they still leak. its going in the trash as soon as i get an aluminum one. Might put it on my buddies riding mower or use it for a home made parts washer by cutting off the top

15. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why don't you just get the metal can to go around it? I have yet to see one with the metal can that deforms like you are talking about.

16. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do you know where I can get just the can for the outside?

17. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that Summit or RCI sell them just check with them.

18. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I have an 30 gal. RCI cell in the back of my P/U but I build a steel box for it that it sits in with a lid on hinges, no water can get in. You may want to think about doing that, it would be cheaper than buying a new cell.

19. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

i have the same cell and the same problem. bluggy will not run on water. mine was leaking around the suction fitting. i had to make sure the jam nut was tight to stop the water. i dont believe it has leaked around the fill neck.