Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have to cut out the u-joints out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Oct 27, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am putting new u-joints in the front axle shafts and the old ones are rusted in so bad I cant get them to press out. I put all 12 tons of pressure on them my little press has and they would not budge. They want $15 a piece to press them out at the machine shop and the guy was being a dick trying to sell me the u-joints and saying he wouldnt press the old ones out if I didnt buy the joints from him ....I cant justify doing busines with a$$ holes! So I just cut them out with the cutting torch. I didnt cut the ears or anything, I just cut the body of the ujoint out, then I blew as big of a hole through the caps I could with out hitting the ears. I could then press what was left of the caps out.

The ears did get very hot, they were a little red but not glowing. Was that a bad idea?

These are D60 shafts BTW....
    THX! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm.....Well, not to $hit in your cheerios, but I would say yes, It was a bad idea...If they got hot enuff to turn red, then the metal of the ears is NOT the same as it was. As long as the u-joint's will still fit in the ears, it will obviously work, Although the ears WILL be more prone to breakage.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Just like kid said, you changed the temper of the metal and they will be more prone to break because the metal will be weaker. Go with them til they break and make sure you have a spare set of outer with you. You wanted to upgrade to 35 spliners anyway !!

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

make sure there wasn't a clip there cuz I used a 100 ton press to remove my u-joints and I bent the ears /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The last set of D44 joints I changed it was like that on the one side. I cut the body of the U-joint out with a grinder, then attacked the cups. Using a big drift and BGH I still blew the ends of the U-joint cups out, then using a smaller punch I worked the remainder of the cups out. All told I spent over 4 hours swapping one Ujoint...sure am glad that one didn't scatter on the trail!/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

As long as you didn't "quench" the metal (cool it quickly w/ water or other liquid), the metal will return to the near same composition. You would have to heat the metal and hold that temp. for a substantial amount of time to affect the actual composition.

John