Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have welded spider gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 16, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about welding the spider gears on my 14ff for the spool effect but I have heard bad things about it, like it is weak. Does anyone have their gears welded...any good points (I can think of one..the $)? any bad? My reasoning behind this is to get rid of the detroit locker and buy 4.88 gears with the return.
    Brent

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i welded a set together in a front D-44 but i HIGHLY ADVISE NOT TO DO THAT!!! and if you have an open carrier and you weld the gears together you will probably bend or break an axle,,or even detonate the carrier!!! there has to be some give somewhere for when you go around a corner!!!! one wheel will pivot and one will slide across the pavement!! i strongly suggest you wait and just buy a locker......

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. FWP

FWP CRS

We welded a set together on a friends Chrysler for a demolition derby[​IMG].... Save your pennies, keep the detroit, and get gears.....

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would suggest doing a search on the topic of spools to get an idea on what people think concerning the handling and the possible breakage problems (since a spool and welded spiders would act the same). There is also an active topic about spools that was just updated today.
    To make a long story short, I can't see why a spool or welded spider gears would cause any more axle breakage than something like a Detroit. I would think the biggest issue would be with the quality of the welding and if the high heat would have an adverse effect on the overall strength of the spider gears.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My one friend did this in his CJ5 and it is working ok. The weld broke once and he took it back in and had them re-welded.
    So far so good and he has been running it that way for a while now.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Going around corners with the front diff locked up is not a problem on the street because you unlock the hubs. Turning offroad isn't a problem because most of the time the tires can slip on dirt, mud, sand, etc. My rear Detroit stays locked up going around corners and chirps the tires. It's never caused any problems other than that.
    CB

7. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The spider gears in my 14ff are welded.First you will have too completly dissassemble the carrier.There are four spider gears on what looks like a u-jount.Weld the spider gears too this all the way around each spider gear.It wont break.And it does not effect the carrier so you can swith back too the detroit if you want.As for carrier problems it would be the same as a detroit locker because you use the stock carrier anyways.I prefer the spooled way then the detroit i had in it.When i went around a corner with the detroit it stayed locked anyways no difference.And the spool makes less noise.As for rain or snow its a matter of learning how too drive it.

8. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

LINCOLN LOCKER IT IS!!! Petersons had an article in nuts and bolts for nov and they didnt realy bad mouth the idea..they all seem fond of the spool effect.. so off to the welders I go

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I think it's gonna suck real bad on the street......

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Been thinkin' bout doing this on my rear 12 bolt...my bud's had his welded on a 12 with 44's and drug EVERYONE around the trails when they broke....He's not easy on the gas either! Smoked 2 trannys in 2 weeks.

11. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Save yourself some hassle in the long run and do it right!