Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have Well Water/ Water softener? Question about stuff in filters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Aug 8, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, the last week the water pressure had dropped, ALOT, to almost no pressure! We checked the filters and there as a black oily gunk in them. We put a gallon of bleach down teh well and replaced the filters, wa-la water pressure again. Tonight... NO WATER, check again and the filters are clogged up. The filters have had to be replaced twice this week, usually once every couple months or when we add salt. The filters have a black oily substance in them. It got threw the first and second filters (we have two then salt then a charcole filter and two storage tanks). The inside of the filter cups are clean, not oily but it does clog up the filters (so far twice this week).

Anyone have any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I'm going to bleach the well tomorrow to see if that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I grew up on a farm with well water. Whenever there was a drought (sp) we would always start picking up a bunch of sand and silt through the pumps. they would clog everything up pretty quick. As for oily looking stuff, that seems a little odd/scary. does the water have a strange look/smell/taste?

-Ryan

3. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    does the water have a strange look/smell/taste?

[/ QUOTE ]

not any different than usuall /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif We get a sulfer smell from time to time, usually means the salt is out or needs broken up a little

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Have you been dumping your oil and antifreeze too close to the water supply again? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you been dumping your oil and antifreeze too close to the water supply again? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no just the gas leak out back when the tank on the plow truck gave out a couple months ago /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thought we had the problem figured out. One of the guys my dad works with said he had the same problem when his diaphrame Pressure tank's rubber liner/bladder went bad. We replaced it today but the water is still alittle dirty looking hopefully it clears up after a cycle or two /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

hmm... strange. Lemme run it past some of the folks out by my parents place and see what they have to say.

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    hmm... strange. Lemme run it past some of the folks out by my parents place and see what they have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool deal, I think the bleach made it worse, so I didn't bleach it again, but its still pretty clouding water (not oily/slimmy) but not what it usually is /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

"Come and listen to a story bout a man named Jed," /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Maybe you got an oil well there!

9. jjlaughner

AH if only that where true /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif