Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone have working ebrake with eldo calipers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'd love to see a pic of your bracket or how you have it hooked up.

Anyone?

Search yielded squat.
    -- Mike

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

me tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'll try to upload some pics tonight. Both Fox and I have the same setup. I use the stock K5 cables with custom L brackets. It works good for me. My setup is a 14 FF with the TSM disks/caliper brackets and 76-78 Eldo calipers.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am running the Caddy calipers but I think I'am going to put two import e-brake handles in the center console area to do the cutting brake thing. I would like to see some pics. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Shawn that would be great - I have the same exact setuop - TSM brakets, eldo calipers et al.
    It would be much appreciated.
    I'm hoping, obviously, to be able to duplicate the L bracket you are describing.

-- Mike

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's a couple pics of my TSM setup. Pretty straight forward and they work great!
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

That looks pretty easy to do, I think I might start fabbin a bracket like that this weekend. What thickness material is it?

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Here's some pics. All 4 are from the drivers side rear wheel. If you need more shots, let me know. Kind of large so I'll just post the links:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/ebrake1.jpg
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/ebrake2.jpg
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/ebrake3.jpg
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/ebrake4.jpg

DP_90K5's looks much simpler.

Hope this helps.

If anyone needs a set of these fabbed up, Im sure Tim at 4x4 IRON could make a set. I'll even bring my K5 over to Tim so he could get the dimensions if he doesn't already have them.

9. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I have done a few things to make this happen. A few more things need to happen to make it work correctly:

Done
    1. Custom brackets... modeled after the caddy ones but they are shorter by about an inch and don't have the bend. I based the length on the angle necessary to pull the pads tight (how much of a turn was needed) and how much throw the ebrake cables could give on my 82 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif . This was far and away the most tedious task (especially grinding a round hole hex so the peg goes in... a new form of childs play).

2. Swap sides of the calipers so that the pull would be on the top instead of the bottom (clearance and cable reach)

3. Cut off the first nubby on the caliper so that it is spun back farther and not pulling into the axle but more across the top (the return stop point if you don't have nubby in your dictionary).

4. Mount a flat bar extending up from the front two bolts mounting the backing plate to the height for the cable to come in at.

5. Use a mini u-bolt from a cable clamp to cable firmly in place on the bar.

What I need to do:
    1. Add return springs
    2. Remove the springs on the cables (I think they are causing more problem and definitely aren't giving enough return)
    3. Adjust the e-brake cable
    4. Hope that I can exchange the leaking caliper after my nubby-be-gone sawzall mod (hence the dirty photo).

I have activated it and it is still a little soft (okay, to the floor... hence the need to finish the task list), but it did hold back my Vortec 454 in drive (at idle) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have take pictures of the conversion process and have been going to write up an article including PN's for everything needed but haven't gotten around to it (to offer up to Steve if he wanted to post).

[​IMG]